Degreasing Krow Tan Bears

Submitted by Bill on 9/17/05 at 10:06 PM. ( ) 69.168.254.50

Has anyone used Tannery degreaser (McKenzie product) to degrease black bears in conjunction with Krow tan? When and how would you use the degreaser? Or am I just better off using the McKenzie Brush on tan in conjunction with their degreaser? Any other degreasing methods used in conjunction with the krow tan would be appreciated.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Bill, can we talk?

This response submitted by George on 9/17/05 at 10:11 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.130

Bears are just not conducive to paint on tans. The hide should be degreased before any pickling or tanning begins, but bears are a whole nuther story. They are best done with submersible tans and even better if done professionally. I used Lutan years ago with acceptable results, but for the effort and aggravation, I learned to send them out. Results were always better, they never smelled, and they just ended up being better products than I did myself.

George is right

This response submitted by Mark on 9/18/05 at 3:28 AM. ( Mitrooper27@yahoo.com ) 69.244.168.22

I have Mctanned a few small bears that had virtually no fat but other wise its best to stick with the professional tanneries. The end result will be much better.

Thanks guys

This response submitted by Bill on 9/18/05 at 8:45 AM. ( ) 69.168.254.50

Thats what I have always done, but you hear people telling you they have had good results home tanning bear and you start to think about it. (Especially after doing soome other things with very good results). Thanks for your replys \. They are going to get shipped out.

Return to Tanning Category Menu