Trapping Raccoons

Submitted by Joe on 10/16/05 at 8:55 PM. ( furrfish@yahoo.com ) 216.105.215.3

Hello friends,

I am new to trapping and thought I would give it a try this winter. I am after raccoon and Rabbit pelts and anything else that looks pretty. I have purchased the EZ 100 Tanning Kit, 1 Qt. Degreasor, 2-Handed Fleshing Knife, and Large Fleshing Board from Mackenzie's supply.

I have also purchased a large raccoon/bobcat/coyote/fox cage from Northern Tool & Equipment, 42" x 15" x 15", and a rabbit trap.

I am assuming that I will need about 10 pounds of salt and some baking soda...will Arm and Hammer work?

Could you also tell me what else as a beginner I would need? Please don't mention extravagant things...because if I can't get them for under $50...there is no point to mention them. I have invested about $200 so far. I will be going to a taxidermy school in northern Wisconsin within the next year. Then I am going to Alaska.

When it comes time to remove the animals from the traps...this is where I am having the problems.

How should I kill the animal without damaging the fur. I may wish to skin the entire animal. I am still pondering this though. I may just cut the head off and not worry about it...but if I ever wanted to mount them...it would be a worry in the future...or a regret. I will consume the meat as well.

1. Rabbit- When I was a boy...lol (30 now) I watched an englishman break a rabbit's neck after having been chased by a ferret/weasel. Is this still the way to do it?

2. Raccoon- I have a 22 rifle...But I dont know where to shoot without damaging the hide? Plus I do not want the animal to suffer. Drowning and gassing are not an option for me...neither is strangulation. I am not about to grab the animal while it is alive either.

Please help.

Also, can anyone refer a good book about raccon taxidermy for me and everyone else that reads this post.

Please do not write to hit the orange search button, because I have searched now for about a week and my ass and eyes hurt...just tell me...if you could.

Also...is there any fancy way of butchering raccoon meat? Can I make burgers, ribs, stakes?...lol...A roast maybe?

Thanks

Joe

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Book: THE Breakthrough MAMMAL TAXIDERMY MANUAL

This response submitted by Joe on 10/16/05 at 9:17 PM. ( furrfish@yahoo.com ) 216.105.215.3

I found what appears to be a good book following a search link. The title and description are:

THE Breakthrough MAMMAL TAXIDERMY MANUAL

This manual includes instructions for bases, finishing, alterations, legs, hooves, feet, ears, eyes, tails, skinning, tanning, field care, reference and studio layout. Mounting procedures are included for squirrels, coyotes, bobcats, stone sheep.

I am thinking about buying this book, but I see no mention of Raccoon in the description. Perhaps there was just not enough space & time to mention it.

Let me hear some of your reviews and I will probably buy this book. It looks like it could really come in handy.

lol...I hit the orange search button...but please help with the original post.

Thanks

Joe

Make that $225 Invested

This response submitted by Joel on 10/16/05 at 9:32 PM. ( furrfish@yahoo.com ) 216.105.215.3

I did some more checking around and found that the book appears to have what I need. It will also give me a jumpstart on my taxidermy work until I can get to school.

Still request help for the future rabbit and raccoon in the cage and any other items I may need.

Thanks

Joe

Trapline killing

This response submitted by Richard Wolfe on 10/16/05 at 9:59 PM. ( ) 69.144.30.75

Many trapline animal are shot behind the ear with a .22 short,or even shorter by sniping off half the bullet with a pair of dykes.

When more experience there is a method of walking into the trap circle and dispatching a (coyote) animial with a smack on the nose and a stomp of your heel in the animals chest. No blood that way.

Advise is to study more in specific trapline books and taxidermy manuals (S.Stanley Hawbaker, Lem Rathborn, Russel Tinsley) many more on my book shelf and a few origional stories by yours truly.

I have a video for sale that teaches Trapline skinning methods for furbearers, (a coyote is use in the film) : fleshing, and hide drying.

cookin' coons

This response submitted by travis joe on 10/18/05 at 10:46 PM. ( ) 207.199.217.161

there is nothing wrong with cooking racoon if you boil the critters first to get the heavy grease off them boil 10 to 15 minuts in water with a little salt ( cuts down on the strong game taste) then put in the fridge and let it cool till the grease can me scraped off the top! dont try to cook without removing as much grease as posible you will ruin alot of work!

Try Trapperman.com

This response submitted by Cartman on 10/19/05 at 5:34 PM. ( ) 68.116.201.183

If u want to learn more try trapperman.com or traps4kids.com Both are great sites

Cartman

i trap for fun

This response submitted by Lydia on 10/25/05 at 9:50 AM. ( Gijane1022@yahoo.com ) 68.163.50.223

all i want to do is see the animals up close. i dont want to kill them or anything. its just fun to do the trapping. i just turned 14 and my older brother gave me a lone star ranger trap for raccoons. i have never caught a raccoon before, but ive' been trying since i was 8. i used to make my own traps. i built this one that looked like a giant cage once. every morning at about 6:00 i would go check on it and every morning i would see my latest flaw by how they were escaping. after about a week of failure...it worked. i caught a big orange cat. it was probably my biggest dissapointment. cats always get in the way. when i was 10 my brother gave me a squirrel trap and the very first night that i set it i caught the biggest opossum i had ever seen. i was so excited. im still working on a raccoon. im a little nervous though aobut realesing it. Do they tend to turn right around and attack you instead of running for dear life?

Trapline

This response submitted by Thomas on 10/25/05 at 5:22 PM. ( ) 65.66.121.253

If I understand correctly you're using a live trap (cage) not a leg hold. If so tie a rope to the handle and toss in the nearest bayou. Be sure and wear a heavy glove to carry the trap as a coon will be quite displeased about being caught.

I caught two coons two days ago

This response submitted by Cole on 10/25/05 at 5:33 PM. ( trappercole@yahoo.com ) 65.160.241.33

Why did you buy a cage trap? All you need is a dozen 1 1/2s, fish, a tile spade, some wire or stakes, waders, a good Honda Rancher 4 wheeler, and a good fur buyer. it comes out to $6o because you should already have fish, a tile spade, wire, a honda,and waders. You can make stakes. Then add the fur buyer. Thats where you make the money. Don't trap rabbits. they are worthless. hit the coon over the head with the tile spade, and put your foot on its neck, to sufficate it. Have fun. Get a mullet.

Gassing

This response submitted by Rowan on 11/5/05 at 3:10 PM. ( ) 206.172.172.89

I cover the cage with a garbage bag and duct tape it to the exhaust pipe of a car, turn on the car and wait 15 mitutes.

What?

This response submitted by ? on 11/7/05 at 10:55 PM. ( ) 24.140.94.105

Why would you go through all the trouble of a garbage bag and a exhaust and all that?Me and my buddy just take baseball bats and run down the coons that some old ladies feed at a park. Works great and the coons are so much bigger. But when they are skinned don't be surprised about the excess fat cause these coon get fed every night.

Return to Tanning Category Menu