Kerosene & soda paste for tanning hides

Submitted by Mike Davis on 10/19/05 at 1:41 AM. ( mallorydavis@themallorys.net ) 69.9.145.183

What is the correct proceedure for tanning using this paste? My son used this method and it worked beautifully with a bobcat. He can not find the info. I have tried searching on line, with out any step-by-step results. I would appreciate the answer to this type of tanning method. Thanks. Mike

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Kero & bi-carb

This response submitted by Rowan on 10/19/05 at 2:42 AM. ( l44gg@yahoo.com.au ) 203.49.183.224

Hi Mike,
I would not really recommend this method of preserving ( this is a preservative, not a tan) but I have seen some well preserved and long lasting furskin rugs treated with this method.
After fleshing, just make a paste with the bi-carb and some kero and smooth it onto the skin thickly. After it is dry scrape off the paste and add a new layer. When that has dried, scrape it off and paint on oil and break it as it dries.
If you wash the skin this will wash out and will have to be reapplied. The skin should be kept in a dry place/room.
Rowan

You just have to wonder

This response submitted by George on 10/19/05 at 8:09 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.74

Who was the first fool to sit there and say, "You know if I take a box of baking soda and pour it into my jug of kerosene, I can tan hides." And some of you claim evolution doesn't work? Geez. Between the kerosene and the anti-freeze, it's a good thing these people aren't in the taxidermy business. Imagine walking up to your bobcat and smelling kerosene. Or better yet, set it by the fireplace and watch it spontaneously combust. And do you know what makes it even WORSE? We have a guy here who's telling us just how great it worked. Now some other nitwit will find this on google and we'll be asked for recipes for this crap.

I Love It

This response submitted by Old Fart on 10/19/05 at 10:12 AM. ( ) 64.122.57.76

I can't wait to give these directions out to the people who call me wanting to "tan their own skins".

turn off motor before changing fan belt

This response submitted by paul e on 10/19/05 at 4:48 PM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 68.222.61.245

you know some how some way someone with to much time on there hands tried it just to see what would happen if they didnt turn it off

Especially

This response submitted by John on 10/19/05 at 6:17 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

when you can buy tanning kits dirt cheap and do it right!

Return to Tanning Category Menu