WHAT TO DO NOW. I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE.

Submitted by JOE on 10/19/05 at 4:11 PM. ( J.TOMANIK@RCN.COM ) 207.172.177.164

Well I am new at trapping, I set a line of traps for racoon, fox and coyote. I am having good luck with the racoon traps thats about it. My question is I want to sell the pelts at some point what to you do with them. I skinned them out like you normaly would an animal cut up the belly and down to the elbows, skinned the head turned the ears and lips, but what to you use to preserve the animals hide. Do most of you just salt them and put them on a streacher and tan them I guess i'm a little confused, because tanning costs alot compare to what you get for a pelt. Please help feel free to give some other suggestions too. Thanks Joe

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Well

This response submitted by Doug on 10/19/05 at 4:24 PM. ( ) 64.18.236.115

It depends on what your intended market is. The guys who mount small mammals probably want a DORSAL cut to avoid a lot of sewing. The fur garment trade wants them cased and stretched trapper style. Maybe you ought to consider just skinning them and freezing the skin instead of proceeding with tanning. I don't think you'll find much of a market for skins cut like you did. To preserve any skins(except those atretched and air dried) they should be salted and dried hard. Any the last might be the best. Freeze the animal whole and advertise here. You'll get a little less(shipping whole frozen id costly) but you'll save a lot of time.

If you want to sell them for taxidermists.....

This response submitted by Stephen Trull on 10/19/05 at 4:25 PM. ( stephen.trull@wildlifememories.com ) 66.192.168.52

I would recommend you first of all dorsal skin them. For taxidermy this is much easier as there is less stitches. I trap as well and I have a bucket of Krowtann and another with neutalizer. After skinning, Krowtann'em, bag'em and drop in the freezer.

Stephen Trull
Wildlife Memories
www.wildlifememories.com

I sure don't want a dorsal cut.

This response submitted by George on 10/19/05 at 11:13 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.133

And I've yet to figure out why anyone would want dorsal cuts on most game animals. The form can be cut so much easier with so little sewing. Tube that sucker out. Any taxidermist worth his salt can take a tanned hide, invert it, sew it up and then cut that dumb dorsal cut if that's what he wants. Once you dorsal cut, if your hair isn't super primed, you'll see the seam. 99% of small game has its belly hidden so any sew jobs are so much easier to hide anyway.

Joe

This response submitted by mark on 10/20/05 at 10:12 AM. ( zoombug57@peoplepc.com ) 67.0.209.173

Get a copy of the Fur-Fish-and game mag has a lot of info on trapping and fur care.Many good web sites on trapping.Not taking care of your hides properly can make them worthless.I no longer trap but when i did some fur buyers sure where picky when it came to buying hides.I would suggest you case skin your hides , stretch and dry.Some whole animals such as raccon may not sell to fur buyers because the vaule of the hide is not worth the time and money to skin.But a lot of taxidermist buy whole animals.

Return to Tanning Category Menu