a quick question.

Submitted by jrosbor on 10/19/05 at 7:30 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

I was wondering what causes saftee acid to decompose? Can't be time, I have some that is like 2yrs old and still holds it's Ph just fine. any comments? Thanks! Joe

Return to Tanning Category Menu

That's a good question!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 10/20/05 at 2:45 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.150

You're right - Time isnt a factor. But I do know that if you poured pure Saftee Acid on the ground - in 2 weeks it would decompose and become a fertilizer. It's very environmentally friendly.

However, since we also use a lot of Salt in tanning, the Salt would off-set the benefits of the Saftee Acid decomposing.

Thanks Bruce!

This response submitted by jrosbor on 10/20/05 at 5:59 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

The tap water in my area has a lot of lime in it. So it normaly takes just a bit more acid (about 20ml/gal) to get the pH around 1.8-2. However even if I DON'T add any hides, The pH spikes within 24hrs to about 2.4-2.6 and within 4 days it's up to about 3. Decomposition? Hard to say, I use to think it was just reacting with the lime in the water sort of neutralizing it. But neutralizing should take place in the first few seconds. This happens weather it's a new bottle of Safetee acid or my two year old bottle that has since turned tan in color. When I use distilled water (15ml/gal) the pH tends to hold at about 1.6-1.8 without the spike. At any rate thanks again for the info! Joe

pH stability

This response submitted by John on 10/20/05 at 9:03 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

Hey Joseph,

I had the same exact thing happening here in Texas. We used to get our water from the aquifer but since we have been switched to a surface water source without all the lime. I noticed an astounding difference in the pH stability. It is not as stable as the 1.6 to 1.8 but the spike action is non existent. Thanks for the info on the oil floating by the way.

Return to Tanning Category Menu