using brains to tan?

Submitted by joel on 10/24/05 at 3:32 AM. ( jrweez@yahoo.com ) 198.174.59.183

I recentyly skinned a whitetail and was wondering if the process using blended brains works for tanning a hide with the hair on? and if this work is the hide soft when done?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

braintan.com

This response submitted by Mr.T on 10/24/05 at 4:07 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.22

braintan.com will have you're answer. Not here, this site uses modern, cutting edge, up to date technology to tan.

It also works for CWD

This response submitted by George on 10/24/05 at 6:46 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.74

At the risk of being rhetorical, "Haven't you read ANYTHING about CWD?" If you have any brains, you'd be wise to stop playing with others.

Should i not eat meat from my deer too.....

This response submitted by joel on 10/24/05 at 8:10 PM. ( ) 198.174.59.183

george if you payed attention while reading you'd know CWD isnt transmittable to humans, especially by simply using brains for tanning, not eating, and furthermore i do not live in an area where this disease has become a problem, thanks for your concern though..

Joel, how do you know any of that?

This response submitted by George on 10/25/05 at 9:26 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.74

The USDA and CDC both caution hunters to avoid contact with the brain and brain stem/spinal cord of ALL cervids. True, there's no documented link, but an ounce of caution is worth a pound of cure. If CWD isn't there yet, it will be.

And remember, NO TAN LEAVES A HIDE SOFT. It's the process AFTER the tan that makes a hide soft.

If an animal...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 10/26/05 at 11:57 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Had rabies, And you knew it had Rabies. Would you just avoid the mouth? If it was me I would avoid the animal all together! Why take the chance? How long do you think we had CWD here in WI before they caught it? Joe

Return to Tanning Category Menu