Krowtan and Knoblochs

Submitted by Bobbi Meyer on 10/25/05 at 9:22 AM. ( bwartistry@earthlink.net ) 168.166.80.209

I usually use McKenzie tan on most of my mounts, but use the Krowtan if I think a hide is a little iffy, since it really seems to lock the hair. I've been reading lately where they recommend using oil with the Krowtan. I don't have any Krow Oil, but have some Liqua Soft from Knoblochs. Could this be used instead?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Bobbi, I guess I have to ask

This response submitted by George on 10/25/05 at 11:29 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.74

Why would you have to change products because a hide was "iffy"? Krowtann is hardly any better at locking hair than Saftee Acid and McKenzie tan. I know you don't think the tanneries have different vats for different conditioned hides.

Bobbi, I to like Krowtann over the others.

This response submitted by Rorie on 10/25/05 at 11:34 AM. ( ) 67.141.89.210

I also have read where George has never used the product.

Well I have and yes it works, I have not used the KROW OIL, I use bisulfanated (SP) tanning oil, I buy by the five gallon pail and it does allow the hide to really let out.

I think you would be ok with Liqa soft, but try it on a back die to see.

Bobbi next time try stop rot first up front

This response submitted by paul e on 10/25/05 at 1:24 PM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 68.222.61.245

do some research in the archives on this its a great product
when it comes to the tann
george is right
now ive done quite a few whitetails with the krowtann
ive had good results so far
but ive noticed a couple of things when using this product
your way better off if you have a fleshing machine
get the hide thin
you will have to give the hide more than a couple of minutes stretching
look up Georges idea of the lawn tire intertube to stretch it out
that works great
also the krowoil in my opinion gives a better outcome
one more thing if i may
i found that before neutralising that if i used another round of stop rot the eye epidermis,the mouth and the nose skin retain color better and there is a buffering effect that takes place
do some research in the archives on all of this and check out
Glens site and do some reading
its www.whitetailsystems.com
great reading on there and in the archives

if youve got specific questions on krowtann call ozark woods
1800 467 0369 they are good folks and very friendly
good reading and researching
hope this was a help to you
paul e
paul e

if cur doesn't mind I'd like to quote him

This response submitted by Bobbi Meyer on 10/25/05 at 3:01 PM. ( bwartistry@earthlink.net ) 168.166.80.209

"Alum tanning is good for hides where one desires to set the hair quicly, or reduce slippage of questionable capes. Alum tan is also good for blue hides or hides that are not prime."

The reason I'm using the Krowtan is the deer is early season and was under a large amount of stress when it died. Not sure if it was CWD or some other disease, but the guy has almost lost his whole herd of pen raised deer.

I've used the Krowtan and had no hair slippage whatsoever, especially when the skins were marginal.

But my tan of choice with prime skins is McKenzie or Liqua Tan.

Hope this answers the questions.

Rorie, that's not true

This response submitted by George on 10/25/05 at 5:02 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.74

I learned long ago you can't have an honest opinion about something unless you have personal knowlege of it. I tried it ONCE and that was enough for me. I'd already had a few bites of the alum apples ages ago, and I don't CARE what Cur said, alum will always be a bullsh1t tan in my book. (Cur said and did a lot of things I didn't agree with, so that's nothing new. Old Shaver and many others like it, but I keep telling people, show me an alum tanned hide over 20 years old and I'll show you a cracked hide. Old Shaver says he has one that old that he washes each year, but I know alum washes out.) If I had a hide I was that worried about, I'd wash it in Stop Rot immediately and then I'd use a 1.0 pickle and keep it there for a week. If it slips, even alum is not going to stop it once that condition starts. NOTHING will stop a slip at that point.

I see that Krotann has a new formula now and they've since come up with an oil to keep the hide moist. That might well improve the product and since I DON'T know anything about that product, I have no opinion on it.

I love this place

This response submitted by oldshaver on 10/25/05 at 7:52 PM. ( ) 68.221.27.50

George, I dunk it once a month.LOL Maybe God made this particular deer special in some way. Every tan can be washed out according to its t's temp. They all vary from 130 to over 200 degrees. None of which are going to happen under normal conditions.

Bobbie

This response submitted by Ozark Woods on 10/26/05 at 1:18 PM. ( ozarkwoods@alltel.net ) 162.40.171.88

The use of Krow-oil in addition to Krowtann is for hides to be used in rugs or wall hangers. It can be used to receive even more strech than you should be geting out of the tann.You can use other oils and or products to obtain additional strech but not to the same extent as useing Krow-oil. As for other coments Krow-oil, was introduced the same time we introduced Krowtann,also the "Special Whitetail Formula"
is the same formula just "tweeked" for deer capes for even easier shaveing , and even more strech .For any questions about our Krowtann products just call us 1-800-467-0369

Thanks

Thanks for the info Brian

This response submitted by Bobbi Meyer on 10/26/05 at 2:30 PM. ( bwartistry@earthlink.net ) 168.166.80.209

thats the answer I needed.

Return to Tanning Category Menu