Tannery Location-Why does it matter?

Submitted by oldshaver on 10/26/05 at 7:23 PM. ( ) 68.221.27.50

I see people asking for Tannery reccomendations all the time on here, and are worried about the location of the Tannery, to try to save a little money on shipping. This makes no sense to me at all. Do you look for a form or eye supplier based on location? I sure wouldnt, I would search for a quality product, that suits my taste. A good Tanner is going to save you far more money in your time spent mounting a good skin, versus the time spent prepping and mounting a piece of junk. Your time is far more valuable than the extra shipping cost. A little tip- package your skins wisely. I have seen Taxidermists pack 20 deer in one box, versus another packing 20 deer in 3 boxes. The more boxes, the more the cost, reguardless of the weight. Another words, you save alot of money by packing 40 pounds of skins in one box, compared to packing 40 pounds in 2 boxes. Just a little food for thought.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Valid Points.....

This response submitted by Old Fart on 10/26/05 at 7:48 PM. ( ) 64.122.137.5

.....But there are good tanners all over the country. Why ship all the way across country if there is a good one much closer. I do see exactly what you mean when people ask for a tanner close to home. That shouldn't be the most important factor. Getting the best tanner possible, as close as possible should be the goal. The cost of shipping has become a major factor in the location of my tanners, because shipping has become much more expensive than it used to be.

I agree-

This response submitted by oldshaver on 10/27/05 at 7:29 PM. ( ) 68.221.27.50

Shipping across country doesnt make sense, if you have a good one close to home. I just dont think that there are more than 10 or so that worth a flip, according to the ammount of re-tans I see monthly. All the old timers have this figured out already. I see boxes come in from Taxidermists, that actually have a Tannery in their home town, not to mention the ones sending in skins, that have 2 or more Tannerys in their home state.

Return to Tanning Category Menu