? for a tannery

Submitted by John on 10/26/05 at 8:26 PM. ( ) 216.255.52.14

I got a black bear in and the owner was worried about it being any good. One of those he shot it one day and didn't find it till the next and really never had a chance to be frozen solid. I told him there were no guarantee. Thats why the sign on the wall in my shop says tanning done at owners risk because we don't know how the hide was treated before it gets to us. When I fleshed the hide down to salt it I saw there was a spot about six inchs on its belly where the hair was slipping. It is salted rock hard know is there a chance there will be more hair slip in other spots. Going to send to a tannery for wet tan but I just need to know if more hair will fall out. Just want to know so I can tell the owner if he still wants it mounted.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I'd call him

This response submitted by Trapper on 10/26/05 at 10:24 PM. ( ) 69.14.195.217

and let him know the status before any further work was done.It may slip some more. It may not. Maybe a 1/2 mount? Or maybe a shoulder mount. A really warm pair of mittens, necklas, scraps to repair other mounts...what else can be done with it...

Trapper said it all

This response submitted by oldshaver on 10/27/05 at 7:33 PM. ( ) 68.221.27.50

Seen many lifesize skins turned into shoulder mounts because of slippage. Your guess is as good as any other.

Sign on the wall

This response submitted by Randy on 10/27/05 at 8:24 PM. ( ) 198.107.240.51

A sign on the wall will do little help when it comes down to protecting yourself. I have every client sign a contract the has about 8 topics clearly stated. Slippage, poor quality skinning, legal harvest, loss when in my shop due to theft fire vandalism, late payments, deposit, etc. It only takes one bad client to attack you due to somthing you had no control over and many times he was the cause himself especilly with bears and antelope which are particularly bad for slippage.
Leave the sign up but get a contract. No signature=no work!

Return to Tanning Category Menu