listen to the pros(some times)

Submitted by mike on 10/29/05 at 2:42 AM. ( ) 12.179.226.95

i am the type who likes to learn from experience. after work hours on extra capes i like experimenting with tanning, shoulder mounts, habitat, dp-ez 100-lutan-oils -different methods, tequniques, etc., etc., etc.trying to learn more and put out the best work for my customers.i love my job as a full time taxidermist and i love tanning elk, deer, cats, all of it!i love this forum because of the vast knowledge, experience and hands on advise. there are people who spend a few thousand dollars to go to school for taxidermy when most of the real world knowledge is right here. alot of times the experienced tanners on this forum discourage individuals from tougher jobs of tanning and even small ones which has irked me-TILL NOW! WHEN ALL OF YOU PROFFESIONAL TANNERS WOULD HARP ON PEOPLE ABOUT not TRYING TO SOFT TAN BUFFALO HIDES WHY DID YOU NOT PUT UP A "NO B.S."WARNING!am on my second week of nights breaking and oiling this shaved big wad of .... ANYONE OUT THERE DUMB ENOUGH TO TAKE ON A BUFFALO with out the proper equipment as in past archives has been preached deserve the same punishment as i have received . looking like a dumb ass rolling around the yard with a dead piece of skin kicking your a..!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Live and learn dude

This response submitted by **************** on 10/29/05 at 5:48 AM. ( ) 207.69.139.12

I learned the same dam thing doing an elk hide a few years back. Had to ivest in a swimming pool to tan the dang thing !

brings back memories of my first elf with a scalpal

This response submitted by paul e on 10/29/05 at 6:46 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 68.222.61.245

felt like the energizer taxidermist
just kept going and going and well you know

lmao

Look I can lead you to water, but I can't make you bathe

This response submitted by George on 10/29/05 at 7:15 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

It's been less than a month since I reiterated that exact point on here. Just like my kids, grandkids, and now great-grandkids, NO ONE LISTENS. LOL

Paul

This response submitted by Mark on 10/29/05 at 8:48 AM. ( Shmockaloc@cox.net ) 70.191.114.10

Hey If your in the US elves are illegal.

could not resist

Sorry Mike

This response submitted by Evelyn on 10/29/05 at 9:52 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.130

your post sort of made me chuckle. I just imagine you rolling around with that bison hide. Sometimes the best education is to make mistakes like that on your own. No one listens to you better then yourself. I bet you ain't gonna do that again, right?

Its just how the system works

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/29/05 at 1:25 PM. ( ) 67.138.8.214

We didnt listen, we gained knowledge through experiences such as yours, and then warned others. Now those others will not listen to us, gain their own experience, and perpetuate this system. We love to criticize the expert, if you will, only to laugh at ourselves in hindsight. Basically, we love to learn the hard way! Hey, wait till you see if the hide starts to mildew, or harden later on! Those tanneries are starting to look as valuable as we all said, huh? Hahaha, dont feel bad, and good post too! Good luck.

thanks

This response submitted by mike on 10/30/05 at 1:33 AM. ( michaelschlabach@hotmail.com ) 12.179.226.95

thank yall for your responses and comments, just finished wrestling peeples(old a..hole drill seargent, tough, mean, dry skin, brown w/ bad hair) if i can just get him to the softness of a 2 day old pancake by wednesday(leave for texas motor speedway"damn i hope tony stewart takes out jimmie johnson!"-GO JUNIOR!" ) i think this woman will be very happy. it,s an odd-interesting story behind this buffalo but its to long and i dont know how to type. any ways its supposedly gonna be used as a floor piece for there ceremonys, so they said softness is # 2 appearance & durability 1{wheh-thank gosh )i did LISTEN & FOLLOW advice on salting , rehydrate, pickling, acid bate, , neutralize tanning- NOT ONE SLIP SPOT even on loweer back.and no holes,i couldnt dig the damn fleshing machine blade deep enough into that thick a.. hide to cut one,any ways thanks for letting me vent at my inability understand that when 100% of all the proffesionals said DO NOT ATTEMPT BUFFALO SOFT TANNING WITHOUT THE PROPER EQUIPMENT they were not just talking to bohemians!

Mark i got a special permit

This response submitted by paul e on 10/31/05 at 11:03 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 68.222.61.245

the ears are a mess

This all kinda reminds me of an e-mail!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/5/05 at 8:11 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.7

I recieved an e-mail from a guy who said that to soften his Buffalo hide he put it on a pole (like a flag) and drove his truck around with it flapping until it was "almost" soft! I dont know if I can believe it - but it certainly was a different way of thinking! LOL!

Return to Tanning Category Menu