Bruce Rittel; Greasy bear question!

Submitted by Eric on 10/30/05 at 7:55 AM. ( ejazwinski@yahoo.com ) 4.155.105.139

I have a small bear skin I "tanned" with Krowtann. I degreased before tanning with Kemsol. Apparently I didn't degrease good enough. The skin feels greasy.
I read in the archives that one can use Super Solvent on alum treated skins. Is that correct?
Should I do that or will it wash the tan out. The other method I read about was the "dry-clean" with sawdust and mineral spirits. Which do you think is the best choice?
Thank you so much in advance.
Eric Jazwinski

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Dry Clean it!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 10/30/05 at 10:01 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.156

At this point - to be safe - dry clean it! If you dont have a Drum - use sawdust in a black plastic garbage bag. add a little solvent to it - bounce it around - then put in the skin and bounce it for about 5-10 minutes - then blow it off.

For a solvent you can use anything like Odorless mineral spirits, or even lacquer thinner. Just make the sawdust damp - not soggy. And do it outdoors.

Thanks Bruce!

This response submitted by Eric on 10/30/05 at 3:30 PM. ( ) 4.155.102.87

Sharing your knowledge on here is wonderful. I very much appreciate it and I'm sure many others do as well.
God Bless, Eric

Bruce Rittle on Brush on Tan

This response submitted by Jim on 10/31/05 at 3:50 PM. ( showcasetaxiderm@aol.com ) 207.200.116.71

Bruce Rittle: I used a brush on tan, And after mounting I'm getting hair loss. In large patches. They were pickle and that's ok. But the tan not good. At this point can I clean off the brush on and do them in EZ tan Jim

For Jim!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/2/05 at 11:11 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.34

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but the outcome of this doesnt look good. Paint on tans are always a combination of a Tanning Agent and an Oil. It's the Oil that may cause you a problem.

Considering you already have slippage - you would have to first degrease it and then repickle, neutralize and retan it in the EZ-100. The degreasing to remove the bulk of the oil may cause more slippage.

I'd only recommend doing the retan if its your last resort. Obviously the outcome may be disappointing - simply because more slippage may take place.

Return to Tanning Category Menu