Auto Tanner Recipes

Submitted by Nic on 10/2/05 at 11:23 PM. ( ) 207.69.138.136

Just got done going through the archives and found that there are so many different recipes that people use for there pressure tanners. Some people salt there hides before tanning, some pickle before tanning, some use the oil in the tanner, others brush on afterwards.
Also I found that some guys (or gals) only tan for about two hours (fleshing in between), yet others left hides in for up to 24 hours.
I just got my pressure tanner but didn't get instructions with it. I already e-mailed Steve to see what he suggests, but was just curious what works for you. Also if you tan differently for early or late season hides. I have my first deer to do and was taken Sept. 17 (opening day of archery-WI) and has very thin hair, so I'm kind of worried about slippage.
Any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

auto tanner

This response submitted by Keith on 10/3/05 at 8:47 AM. ( lostpinestaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 12.181.66.149

nic i have had my tanner for over 3 years and have tried numerous methods. alot of people say you don"t get the stretch but i have not had that problem. i have tanned eland ,zebra,turkeys, and have now tanned an aligator l/s.i use the arrowhead chemicals that is what i found works best. i have never lost any skins in the tanner. i usually put my skins in for 2 or 3 hours and then shave them and put them back in for about 2 more. it just depends.
good luck
keith

automatic tanner

This response submitted by j.t. on 10/30/05 at 9:57 PM. ( jthron1@comcast.net ) 24.8.113.125

I have an auto tanner and have always used the tanning crystals and oil that was sold with it at the time of purchase. I don't do a lot of tanning and would like to know some of your recepies. I noticed an arrowhead chemicals mentioned, I am going to search for a web sight as soon as I finish typing this. But if you could inform me of what you use and the process I would greatly appreciate any info you guys are willing to give, Thanks.

Return to Tanning Category Menu