Ready tanned bear skins

Submitted by Patrick Moran on 10/8/05 at 1:29 PM. ( flamingfoxtail@hotmail.co.uk ) 81.135.9.200

I am thinking about purchasing a ready tanned bear skin for a full mount. All the things i've done in the past have been straight from the tan liquid straight to the manilin,when its still wet. My query is what do i do with the skin when it comes to me ready tanned? Do you have to wet it or anything or can you just apply it straight to the manikin and it will dry out then? Also wouldn't the skin dry out during the shipping period therefore making it hard to model? I would be grateful to hear from people who know what to do.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Depends...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 10/8/05 at 5:30 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

If the skin is wet tanned, it is mount ready. And no it will not dry out in shipping. If it is comming from the states, it will more than likley be dry tanned in witch case it will need to be rehydrated before mounting. Simple to do, Just soak using a salt water soulution. For each gal of water add 4oz of white salt. For a life size bear you should need about 15 gal. of water and about 4 pounds of salt. Have a good one! Joe

patrick

This response submitted by paul k on 10/8/05 at 7:48 PM. ( ) 68.83.60.41

I get all my bears dry tanned. When i rehydrate , i soak the head and feet only, maybe 30-45 min, the thick cartilage in the ears may need some relaxer or wet paper towels wrapped around them, i then wet the rest of the skin using a real wet sponge, sweat overnight in the refrig, they will let out real good this way. They wont be near as heavy or slopping wet as submerging the whole skin. Just another option.

Return to Tanning Category Menu