Tanning a dry wolf and coyote

Submitted by Jeff on 10/9/05 at 7:08 PM. ( ) 142.165.107.174

I have a coyote and a wolf, both tubbed and air dried, that I would like to tan. Do I need to salt the hides? and what prosess do i need to follow to tan them?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Tanning process

This response submitted by Richard Wolfe on 10/9/05 at 8:54 PM. ( ) 69.144.30.75

hi Jeff, your question has gotten me to sit here and ponder. i remember a quote in the Holy Bible that says something

like,...answer a fool according to his folly or you will be just like him.... and another verse repeats the same attitude a
little differently, saying,...if you don't answer a fool according to his folly you will be just like him....

Sooo, Jeff, What am I going to do? Tell you the 5-9 steps to successfully tan your hides....or "Tan Your Hide" with a wiplash of comments.
I want to do the latter....knowing full well how many trips I made to the public libray ....the post cards I sent off to tannerys' asking for instructions and how to's.... searching and trying many approaches to softening methods, etc.

AND NOW, under free will, you have asked this question and under free will i am typing this message.

I wonder how many trips you made to the search button and read and re-read the 101's tanning techniques?

You will find the formulas and how to 's in very short order from professionals who have preceeded each of us in history...and of course,...asked the very same question...

"HOW DO I TAN MY SKINS?"

You will find salt receipies, and relaxors and pickels and tans...natural tans, paint on tans, synthic tans, chrome tans, EZ tans, water proof tans, smoke tans, etc., etc.,

.(so before this becomes the Dr. Zuess of wet tans and dry tans, DP tans and Borax tans, Q Bark and Walnut Hull tans),...

Jeff, I challenge you to report back to this forum and share with us the results of your time invested to learn the ancient art of tanning, sharing with us the knowledge gleaned from your research and an expression of the sweat off your brow that you get from the experience of the physical labor you perform on your task.

Rich, if you have that much time........

This response submitted by Jeff on 10/9/05 at 9:21 PM. ( ) 142.165.107.152

to type and not give any real answer, you should go out and search for more buisness or take up golfing, If you cant answer a question dont respond, thats simple. Mabey some people feel that experience in taxidermy makes them god like, but your not. The fourm is for people to ask questions for stuff that we are unsure of, and a simple search would leave me more confused as the hundreds results seem to contain hundreds of opinions and arguments on whos idea is the best. So if you can help me with my question, I am very thankfull for it, but if you feel you need to type a response 4 times the length of my question telling me how I should be using the search button instead of giving me an answer, go back to your nursing home so you can discuss all the worlds problems and how you have all the answers with your kind.

You know Jeff, I can see your point on this one

This response submitted by George on 10/9/05 at 9:35 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.73

I gather that your hides are air dried. If that's the case, you don't need to salt them. They are in the condition of a furrier's hides. Were it me, I'd just send them to the tannery in this condition, but I sense you intend to tan them yourself.

Just like a salted hide, you must rehydrate them and with canids, that in itself is likely to cause a problem with slippage. I think that I'd "wet" them with Stop Rot instead of water, hoping that it would prevent that slippage. Once softened, get them into the pickle quickly. With canids again, I'd keep the pH as close to 1 as I could get it to insure that they didn't slip. From there, you take normal tanning steps to completion.

here my 2cents

This response submitted by terryr on 10/10/05 at 12:02 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

i have kt'd dozens of foxes and coyotes but always from salted or green - here is how i would handle them - throw them directly in kt and dont rehydrate - if you rehydrate in water i feel (like george - man i hate to agree with him) you will porobably lose the hides - you can use the kt for a rehydrating bath but it takes a L- O - N - G
TIME - but it will work - if i was doing it i would place them in kt for a week and then take them out and soak them in relaxR until they are softened - this on the surface looks like putting the cart b4 the horse but i have softened innumerabnle salted skins this way so i am 90% sure it will work - give it a try on one of the poorer skins

FREE TANNING BOOKLET

This response submitted by MARK on 10/10/05 at 11:28 AM. ( MARK@KNOBLOCHS.COM ) 67.106.41.67

We offer a free technical handbook on how to tan your own skins. This book is free to anyone, you can also look at our website to get the steps and methods. Email us and we will be glad to get you started.

Mark

Knoblochs .
800-525-6379
www.knoblochs.com

It figures

This response submitted by John on 10/10/05 at 8:26 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

That someone would throw them into the so called miracle mix of KT. I personnally do not trust KT for anything. In fact it may never relax totally in KT. I tried it in a pickle bath and it doesn't work very well at all. Take Georges advice. He is far more experienced than most others. If you soak them in Stop Rot it will pretty much kill any chance of slip. I prepped a Mt. Lion skin last year that way and it saved the hide. The Lion was terribly freezer burned and took too long to get to me and was on the fine line of spoiling. The Stop Rot cured the freezer burn and the hide tanned beautifully with NO slipping. I'm sorry if I offended anyone out there but I trust Glen Conley and not the other guys.

Return to Tanning Category Menu