Stop Rot

Submitted by Ernie on 10/11/05 at 8:30 AM. ( ) 65.167.40.196

Had a friend take a nice white tail on tuesday of last week. Went to NJ to skin it for him on Friday and man did it stink. It was warm, Rainy and humid. etc.. The deer was properly dressed and was in a garage with the ac on for 2 and a half days. We skinned it out. had to throw the meat away because it was so bad. what a bummer. He hit the deer Tuesday around 6:40pm and found it the following morning.
Well to make a long story short, I had too cape the head and turn and flesh the cape . Breathing through my nose for almost 2 hrs
The cape was loosing a little bit of hair in the neck area part of the throatpatch. But just a little. I had the stop rot with me and literally gave it a bath using 3/4 of the quart. The cape was just turning green in a few spots. It is salted now and we shall see how we did. Never had to put the stop rot to such a test. But I do use it now for the ears, eyes, nose and lips and on any iffy cape I'll do the whole cape. And I never had one like this.
But I also will understand if we loose the cape.
Will report back. Hopefully with a good testimony.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Ernie, most of us breathe through our nose

This response submitted by George on 10/11/05 at 8:42 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.73

HOWEVER, if something is gut wretching, you can avoid your olfactory nerve somewhat by breathing through you MOUTH. (That usually doesn't work well either. In Vietnam working with bodies from the jungles, we used dust masks that we put drops of peppermint on so as to mask the smell somewhat.) On Sunday, with the Cabelas fiasco, I wasn't so lucky. I breathed through my mouth and could actually TASTE that rotten smell for hours afterwards.

And I'd just ask myself how dumb any person could be to think that storing a carcass in a garage for 3 days with an air conditioner that would not keep the place any cooler than 70 degrees actually is. Anytime meat gets over 60 degrees, it rots very quickly. Forty degrees will buy you about 2 days at most. That's why butchers NEVER hang meat with the skin on it contrary to all these nitwits who hang their deer for weeks outside to "age" it.

same here

This response submitted by mimes on 10/11/05 at 9:50 AM. ( ) 64.233.135.28

I like Dr. Geo's response. How did your friend think hanging a deer that long with just AC on it would save the meat? Sorry for hacking on your friend, but sounds like he had NEVER skinned a deer before. Here in AR, he would/could be fined for "waste". ANYWAYS......let us know how the stop rot worked.

That's right

This response submitted by Ernie on 10/11/05 at 4:37 PM. ( ) 65.167.40.196

He never did skin out a deer on his own.
He was supposed to have someone from his gun club come over the following night to skin and butcher the deer but that person's wife went into labor. If this wasn't the case, I'd call My friend stupid.
But I try not to look for or be a negative person God knows there are way to many out there. Either way The Stop Rot May or may not have saved a cape of a dressed wt 184 lb deer. We shall see.
Try being possitive sometime you just might make some one smile.
Thanks

I AM positive

This response submitted by George on 10/11/05 at 9:15 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.73

Your "friend" is stupid. Case closed.

true story

This response submitted by terryr on 10/12/05 at 12:44 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

probably everyone can top this story but here goes - in illinois we have a split gun season 2 weeks apart - i had someone bring me a head on the last day of the second gun season that had been shot on the first day of the first gun season - didnt really stink casue it had already rotted - eys sunken lips dried up - needless to say we replaced that cape with another and i didnt have to call him stupid becasuse his wife did in front of me - gota love it

Return to Tanning Category Menu