Measuring for a tanned cape.

Submitted by MichelleW on 11/3/05 at 12:00 PM. ( michellestaxidermy@zoomshare.com ) 138.162.128.37

Just a question about taking measurments for a shoulder mount. Where do you take your measurments. Do you taxe them over the hair and subtract an inch or 2? Do you taxe your measurment off of the meat of the neck? Do you take it off of the green haide or off the hide after it has been tanned?

I mainly use Dry Preserve and I use to take a measurment over the hair and subtract an inch and order the form from that and ahave never had a problem.

Ths year I am sending some of if not all of my capes and hides to Key Stone because I work a full time job during the day and I think it will be a whole lot easier to send them off.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

On The Meat......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 11/3/05 at 1:32 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.18

....After the head has been skinned. I put back in EXACTLY what I take out. If you were to put the raw cape right back on the head that you just took it off, it wouldn't fit. It would appear to be way too big! That's why you don't measure raw capes for form measurements. If you must take a measurement off a cape, do it after the cape has been tanned.

michelle ive noticed a couple of things over the years

This response submitted by paul e on 11/3/05 at 1:51 PM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.123.63

1 OLD Fart is usually right
just kidding
no seriously i can only speak from my experience
when i started out dusting the capes i just measured the skin
it would always fit

when i started tanning i too got aggravated with the fit sometimes
i notced some would fit ,some would be tight

when tanning a lot of factors are involved to get that cape back to size
thinning the hide enough,also neutralising the skin correctly
and a lot of elbow grease or Georges intertube trick

what i found works for me is this
i measure if i can the head around the skin when it comes in
then i measure the meat
for ex. the head might be 20" around the hair
and 18 around the meat
i would probably shoot for a 19"
i do a test fit befor glueing
i keep spare molds also so if im a little off i just switch up
just my experience im sure some will give different opinions
good hunting paul e

OK now I got a question again.

This response submitted by Michelle W on 11/3/05 at 2:40 PM. ( ) 138.162.128.38

If I take a measurment over the hair of 20 inches and take a measurment off of the meat and it is 18 inches. Would you use a 18 or 19 inch form. If I use the 18 inch form will the neck after the cape is dry be 20 inches?

Georges intertube trick?

This response submitted by Michelle W on 11/3/05 at 2:45 PM. ( ) 138.162.128.38

Georges intertube trick? I have herd about him putting instructuions up on this. How does it work. I can't find it on here.

The Cape Is Designed To Fit........

This response submitted by Old Fart on 11/3/05 at 3:57 PM. ( ) 64.122.137.15

....The ACTUAL neck that you took it off of. Yes you can go an inch larger and not have any problems putting it together. But somewhere something has been altered to get that extra neck to fit. Since I have been using the original carcas for my measurements I never have any problems. When I used to try to get a couple inches extra I had troubles. You can add inches to the appearance of the neck by fluffing the hair when it fits the form easily, when you have too large a neck on your form the hair lays down and can't be raised.

I can't imagine a 2" difference over the hair and then on the neck meat. I usually measure over the hair just to see what the measurement is and I never get more than 1" difference. But I pull it tight over the hair and just snug on the meat, so the difference could be in our methods of measuring. Our Minnesota deer have pretty good hair, so I know that it's not that your deer have more hair.

i would generally go no bigger than 19 inches but

This response submitted by paul e on 11/3/05 at 4:59 PM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.123.63

im not trying to confuse you
but some strange things can and have happened a few times after tanning
most times it takes more than a little elbow grease to get that cape back to size even if everythings done right
usaually about 15 to twenty minutes if you stretch it all around
by hand
the lawn tire is a pretty quick method
just stick it in there and inflate but not to much
i leave it for a hour or so
George is right it makes quick work of a hard thing
i dont do it to oversize just to make it easier to slide the cape on
now
a couple of times over the years after i tanned a cape it grew a lot
you read that right it grew a couple of inches
i cannot tell you what the hech happened but i know i did not mix anything up
that said i begain to stock spair forms in different sizes and turns
that will make your life a lot easier the day you mount up if you get a surprise
the mathimatical base formula if you care to know is
if your fitting over a 9.5 inch round(now i know a deer neck is not round) diam. plus metal thickness(or skin thickness) x pi(3.1416)
so for a pure math test ex. if the skin is a .25 thick the answer would be 9.75 x 3.1416 =30.631 s.o.
if you hade a sheet metal wrap around tape you would know what the heck im talking about
again im not trying to confuse you
but if you study the formula you also realize how important thinning a cape is just with plain math not even taking stretching into consideration
i have to say now michelle im sorry ive had to much coffee today
i just wanted to trow you some food for thought
and after all that if you want tot stay absolutely on the safe side
use the meat measurement or tann and thin and stretch and measure
and get your form or after a while keep more forms around
ive got to stop michelle my fingers are hurting
and i need a another cup of coffee
paul e

OK

This response submitted by Michelle W on 11/3/05 at 9:28 PM. ( ) 68.217.213.185

Yeah I think you have had to much coffee.. i don't even have a clue what the formula thing is about.

old farts way is probably best but

This response submitted by paul e on 11/4/05 at 1:31 PM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.123.63

i just wanted to impress on you that the skin thickness does matter
when figuring the stretch out or actual measurement you would get wraping the tape around the meat
let me think uf another way of writing it
well here goes
if you measured a 18 inch neck on the meat on one deer
and measured a 18 inch neck on another deer
depending on how thick you left the cape or how thick the cape is
it will make a difference on how it will fit
now i was just making a statement on a mathematical level
in real life it doesnt mean a whole lot if you shave your skin cose enough
sorry i wasnt intentially trying to trip you up
paul e

Return to Tanning Category Menu