NY Bear tanning questions!

Submitted by Alan Mason on 11/8/05 at 8:50 PM. ( ) 69.72.106.149

Good friend of mine from NY got a 200+ lb bear recently and I need a little advice for him. He rough skinned for a rug and froze with head unskinned. Bear is still in the freezer awaiting a decision on what to do with it. He's not a licensed taxidermist, but has mounted about 25-30 game heads of his own, so he knows enough to get started. Most of his game heads were DP with a few sent out to be tanned. I haven't worked on any bears yet, but after reading most of the posts about bears
on the forum, I advised him to send to a tannery instead of tanning it himself. For you NY guys, would he be able to send it out to a tannery even though he isn't licensed? Don't want to break any laws here. I see tanneries charge buy the lineal foot. At what points are length taken from?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Tip of the nose to the base of the tail

This response submitted by George on 11/8/05 at 8:59 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.74

That's why bears are always longer when they return from the tannery than they are when they're fitted to the form or made into a rug. LOL

nope

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/8/05 at 11:52 PM. ( ) 67.138.12.243

Theres no licensing requirements in NY, Im sure he knows that already.

measuring

This response submitted by oldshaver on 11/9/05 at 8:20 PM. ( ) 68.221.48.207

from the tip of the nose, to the base of the tail.

Return to Tanning Category Menu