Searching for tannery to ship frozen whitetail deer capes to

Submitted by Kim L Duell on 11/9/05 at 9:34 AM. ( kldrace@yahoo.com ) 66.194.59.160

I have been mounting deer heads on and off for the past 20 years or so,and have always done all the work myself.I always used a dry tan method that I learned thru the [a supply company] taxidermy supply company.It has worked very well for me as far as the way they have all turned out.They do not seem to fade or loose any color over the years.My biggest problem has always been my allergies from the deer hair.It seems to have gotton worst with age.So I have shyed away from mounting deer heads.I went with the dry tan method simply because I only do this as a hobby and never have had a big bulk of heads to mount.Im am looking for a tannery to take about a dozen or so whitetail deer capes that I have had bagged and frozen directly after they were skinned.All have been with in the past 3 years.I live in upstate NewYork,in the Adirondack region and was hoping to find a place somewhat close to send them to.If I could get these hides fleshed out and tanned for mounting,I could be back doing somthing I really enjoy doing.Any ideas out there? Please let me know. Thanks for your ears. Kim L Duell.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Kim

This response submitted by Becky P on 11/9/05 at 1:22 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.132

Are you sure it's the deer hair you're allergic to and not the DP? When starting out I used their products and I began having some trouble myself.
(And, George, don't bash me, at the time I didn't know about all of the conflicts. I was using their stuff before the lawsuit, but have since completely quit.) BP

The Wildlife Gallery,Blanchard Mi.

This response submitted by A believer on 11/9/05 at 2:35 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.74

They will split,turn,flesh, and leave you with one of the best tans in the business. Prep work is done for an extra minimal fee. Look em up! Second to NONE.

LOL Becky

This response submitted by George on 11/9/05 at 5:52 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.74

I have to agree with you and wondered the exact same thing. Especially when I see "dry tan" being confused with a REAL tan instead of what it is: DRY PRESERVATIVE.

See George,

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/9/05 at 10:22 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

And I thought it was just the youngins that didn't get the whole "dry tan" vs "dry preservative" thing. BTW, I too have CRAFT! I hate it! LOL! Joe

East Coast Tannery

This response submitted by Samantha on 11/10/05 at 1:09 PM. ( ) 70.110.171.215

Kim,

Call East Coast Tannery! They offer a split,turn,& tan service that is reasonable and they do a good job. They are located in Telford, PA. There # is 1-877-TAN-FURS Good Luck

Jim Willard

This response submitted by Old Fart on 11/10/05 at 1:30 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.26

Jim does custom tanning from frozen cape to ready to mount. That sounds like what you are looking for. Call him 507-482-9453 .

Advantage Fur Dressing

This response submitted by Becky P on 11/10/05 at 4:26 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.74

Houston, Texas, (713)868-3503, customercare@afdinc.net

Thank you all !

This response submitted by Kim L Duell on 11/11/05 at 10:20 AM. ( kldrace@yahoo.com ) 66.194.59.149

Thanks everyone for your responses. I did end up going with the wild life gallery in MI as I believe they are the closest people to deal with.Plus their prices were reall good and they were very helpful on the phone. Thanx again KLD.

Return to Tanning Category Menu