using tannit from tandys leather

Submitted by Richard on 11/9/05 at 8:47 PM. ( oldred67ford@aol.com ) 206.255.125.50

Hey guys I'm new to this board but already its been alot of help. I'm trying to tan a few rabbit hides and then some deer and possums if i get the rabbits right. Before I found this site I bought a premixed product called tannit form a local tandys. But I haven't found anyone who has used it. Basicaly you double salt the hide then rehidrate drain and put this stuff on and wait 3days to 2 weeks for it to dry and then you break in the hide. It sounds a little to simple to work right. I was also thinking of ordering some Rittels ez100 to use it seems like it has a good reputation. Basically i just want a soft taned hide not to mount or anything just for a rug or whatever. Thanks for any help or suggjestions oh and i'm in collage so the cheaper the better.
Thanks again
~Richard

Return to Tanning Category Menu

It's an alum tan.

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/9/05 at 9:30 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

It's simple to use and works for a short term tan. If you get it wet or just the humidity over time it will rot. Hell it'll rot any way. You will be pleased with the EZ-100 kit from Rittel's. Have a good one. Joe

EZ-100

This response submitted by Mark V. on 11/9/05 at 9:34 PM. ( mtmmvruno@lakeland.ws ) 69.4.121.52

Richard, I think you would be better off ordering the EZ-100 kit for your projects. I have heard of the tannit but never tried it. Rittels paint on tan is another great product and would work freat for what your looking to do. Tannit sounds too good to be true. Good luck,Mark

EZ-100 it is then

This response submitted by Richard on 11/10/05 at 2:26 AM. ( oldred67ford@aol.com ) 206.255.125.50

Thanks alot guys, i guess i will use the rittles until I can talk with someone whos had a positive result with Tannit. oh and do you like the fleshing tool from rittles? i just wanted to know if i should add it to my order or get one some where else.
Thanks again
~Richard

Richard,

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/10/05 at 11:02 AM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 216.250.10.124

I didn't say any thing bad about tannit. I stated a fact about ALL alum tans. In time they rot. This has nothing to do with the fact it is tannit or if it's from tandy. On this forum you won't find too many regulars that like alum tans, Maybe Lutan F but most like the synthetic tans that are on the market today. And lets face it. We take a lot of steps in tanning to ensure a good end result. I am not aware of ANY $15.00 "bottle-o-matic" tan that gives you good results. Matter of fact IMHO the only "salt, tan, mount or rug" product that I would use is JRTS. And I belive George Roof would vouch for that one.
There are lots of great tans on the market, Tannit is one that works as it claims.
I truley would give Rittel's a try and maybe talk with Bruce about what is the "best" for your needs. I am sure he would agree that EZ-Tan is a great choice.
Here are a few links that may be of some interest to you.

www.hidetanning.net

www.whitetailsystems.com

www.Rittelsupplies.net

www.knoblochs.com

www.basf.com

As far as your fleshing tool, Are you talking about a beam knife or an Eager Beaver? I am thinking you are talking about the beaming knife. My advice is... Well... Ya get what ya pay for. I would recomend a "Necker" beaming knife. I have one and one like Bruce sells, I would take the Necker any day of the week. But there again... Ya get what ya pay for. Have a good one! Joe

tandy leather

This response submitted by J on 11/12/05 at 12:17 PM. ( ) 216.231.162.9

did you know Dale Knoblochs liqua tan came form his modifying his tanning cream he sold through Tandy leather?

Return to Tanning Category Menu