A couple of questions for home tanners

Submitted by oldshaver on 11/9/05 at 8:50 PM. ( ) 68.221.48.207

1. How long does it take for you to turn lips, nose, ears, and flesh, a deer cape? 2. How long does it take you to complete the WHOLE process required to tan a deer cape?(running water, adding chemicals, mixing chemicals, shaving, oiling, etc.) Honestly please.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

OS ol buddy ol pal,

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/9/05 at 9:06 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

I do consider my self to be a "home tanner". So I will honestly say.
1. I can turn and flesh a cape in about 45min. I don't try to set any records.
2. I have never timed my self on this part. But after salting or pre pickle I think my time is around 1 1/2-2hrs. This is just a guess. This is a hard one to answer because I do quite a few capes at a time. Some times up to ten at a time. Have a good one! Joe

It takes us...

This response submitted by BWS on 11/9/05 at 9:37 PM. ( brandontaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 148.78.243.25

About 30-45 min to split, turn and flesh using a detail flesher.

Hands on tanning time...i would guess about an hour and a half, including final shave and washing.

Most all of that is guess work, and alot of variables (like i usually mix several vats of tan at a time, etc..)

Sheila Brandon

Slow but sure

This response submitted by John on 11/9/05 at 10:19 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

It takes me 1 1/2 hrs to turn flesh and salt. It takes another hour to shave, I know I am slow as smoke off you know, and another 1/2 hour to pull from tan and oil. But all in all about 3 hrs hands on for 1 WT cape. Very Slow but careful, I hate repairs. I use Knoblochs Paratan so the process is a bit different. In a nut shell: Split, Turn,flesh, Salt, Wash, bate, pickle,shave, tan, neutralize and oil = Total of 4 or 5 days. Like the other posts, I usually have several capes and skins going at once.

me too

This response submitted by samantha on 11/10/05 at 12:12 AM. ( ) 211.27.78.174

I'm with John. I hate repairs, so its slow and steady when shaving/thinning for me, though i am alot quicker now i have a flesher machine.
I shave and thin the face in stages when skins are in the pickle as i usually get interupted by my 4 yr old or other household 'duties'. *rolling eyes*
I use ez100 or lutanF. Havnt really timed the whole process but it doesnt seem long.
I send out flat skins.

Turn on the country music and...

This response submitted by cyclone on 11/10/05 at 8:41 AM. ( ) 129.43.43.200

Get me a diet coke...

About 1 hour to cape. Including antler capping and cleaning.

Yell at dog for trying to eat scraps!

About 1 hour to turn, flesh details.

About 1 hour to turn ears/remove cartilage.

Salt ~10 min to apply.
Shake off when wet (usually next day)and re-salt. ~10min.
15 min to make pickle if from scratch.
1 hr. to rehydrate wash and get into pickle.
at least 3 days in pickle.
1 hr to thin on fleshing machine.
usually another 3 days in pickle.

Neutralize and hide prep for tan (Liqua tan) 1hr.
In fridge overnight..

Then again, I'm not racing any clocks. I mount for my pleasure and probably do only a fraction of a percent of what most do here.

Guess I won't be getting any job offers with that kind of speed...

Go lay down DOG!

from raw to tanned

This response submitted by Laurier on 11/10/05 at 8:54 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.208

from the time the skin is off the skull to the time it is com-pletely tanned I have 2 hours of my time in it, thats hands on time.

Too funny cyclone

This response submitted by AndyO on 11/10/05 at 9:24 AM. ( ajossola@yahoo.com ) 70.230.126.85

I have the same issues with my lab. He can be gone for two days and the minute I turn the fleshing machine on he's right there!

My dog...

This response submitted by cyclone on 11/10/05 at 11:07 AM. ( ) 129.43.43.200

He's always gotta be there. I don't know how he functions at all when I go to work. He's right at the door waiting when I come home from hunting. Runs out to do a sniff test of the truck and me...

"No deer again? What's up with that?" Then he rolls his eyes and goes to P....

I had a bucket of deer fat I was saving off of a particular beefy one. (I make good ole lye soap every couple of years.) Well I had at least 10 lbs. in the bucket, went outside for something (all of 10 seconds)and when I came back in 5 lbs. of fat was gone...I still havent found it...

16 hrs

This response submitted by - on 11/10/05 at 6:26 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.54

I must be a tortoise. It takes me 16 hours per 25-50 skins (25 on wolves, 50 on fox or mink). If the skins are ermines, 18 hours per 100. That is from dry (receipt) to dry (finished, ready to go) including tumble-cleaning and hand-breaking.

Thanks for the replies

This response submitted by oldshaver on 11/10/05 at 7:43 PM. ( ) 70.144.183.196

Working on a future post, and you can probablly guess where I am going. Anything for a little discussion.

Yep, we can guess.

This response submitted by David Patton on 11/10/05 at 8:21 PM. ( ) 12.76.210.123

And these guys are probably going to argue that even 16 hours will beat 3-8 months turnaround time from the tannery even considering the cost per hour versus the cost per commercially tanned cape.

But hey, it's your future post and you have to give it your best shot.

I would add that I would be on your side in this one since I make a living trying to convince these guys of the same thing you are going to try.

If

This response submitted by John on 11/10/05 at 9:51 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

Most of us trusted that the tanneries would take good care of our skins we wouldn't be so damned hard headed to send them off. Most of us have experienced the butchered cape mess. Actually, I enjoy the tanning of the skins as much as I do the taxidermy end of the spectrum. I felt it was important to know how to tan a skin correctly before I jumped into taxidermy. My few customers like the idea that their skins never leave my hands and I am willing to accept full responsibility for the tanning. You two guys probably represent the only two tanneries I would actually trust and that is pretty sad considering how many there are out there.

Return to Tanning Category Menu