Cowhides

Submitted by Kristi on 11/10/05 at 1:21 PM. ( ) 144.9.8.21

I'd loooove to do a cowhide for myself. I'm not new to tanning, I have a fleshing machine... my question is, would a 55 gallon drum be large enough to pickle and tan this thing in? If not, what would? And would soak times for safety acid and Lutan F drastically change from what I normally do for elk?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

What the hay.

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/10/05 at 1:47 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Pickle time should still be around 3 days (you can poke a hole through it after 3 days to see if it's pickled through)
Tanning with Lutan F would be around 24hrs. Don't over do it! Again cut a small hole in the neck area to see if it's white all the way through. Have a good one! Joe
BTW, Shave it thin! Real thin!

Buff

This response submitted by John on 11/10/05 at 9:38 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

Your'e gonna really get nice and Buff in the arms and shoulders when you are done with that skin. Shave it really thin. Do you have a tumbler big enough to break it correctly?

Buff is right!

This response submitted by Kristi on 11/14/05 at 8:35 PM. ( ) 66.37.197.104

No, I don't have a tumbler. I've been meaning to put that thing together. I worked a deer hide to some nice softness this year without one. It was a lot of work, but I think acid bate and some good shaving did it some good prior to breaking it.

Is cowhide drastically thicker than whitetail hide?

Who has time for the gym? I gotta take these workouts when I can get them...

Return to Tanning Category Menu