Tanning rabbit hides

Submitted by Ian Jones on 11/11/05 at 6:28 PM. ( Wallace02mgd@yahoo.com ) 67.131.7.242

I have been raising rabbits for about six monthes now and hate throwing away the hides. How difficult is it to get i rabbit hide tanned with the fur still on it as i have a freind who whould like as many as i can do. i butcher about 10 rabbits a month and would like any advice on tanning them with the hair still attached. Please E-mail any information you can spare to wallace02mgd@yahoo.com

thanks in advance
ian

Return to Tanning Category Menu

First...........try a Kit!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/11/05 at 8:13 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.15

First - try a Kit and if you like the results that it produces - then go for it! If you've never tanned before its the easiest way to find out if you can handle the job. Some dont have the patience needed to flesh and dry the skins on stretchers - so a Kit is a small investment in doing it the first time with all the necessary chemicals there and ready. Although you may also have to buy salt and Baking soda - most Kits will average about 2 full WT Deerskins (10-12 mature rabbitskins).

tyler mcbride

This response submitted by Tyler on 11/16/05 at 6:05 PM. ( tbonemcbride@hotmail.com ) 24.224.11.210

1504 s eisenhower
hugoton, ks 67951

Return to Tanning Category Menu