quick salting question

Submitted by kevin on 11/16/05 at 11:33 AM. ( ) 209.142.170.107

I killed an elk last week in Colorado. I salted the hide soon after the kill for a rug. It is now dry but I would like to wash it and make sure all the red meat is off. I didnt really have a good place to work with it on the side of the mountain. My question is will it hurt anyhing if I wash it good and scrape it again as long as I salt it twice more?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

It shouldn't put it in laundry detergent or relaxer solution

This response submitted by Matthew on 11/16/05 at 12:27 PM. ( fishandfurs@hotmail.com ) 209.184.113.254

Kevin,
I put all my hides in a laundry detergent or relaxer, mixed with water and that is after there salted dried to soften them up . Before they go into the pickle. Actaully after you wash it in ultra soft by Bruce Rittel or Laundry detergent solution, both which are mixed with water use about a ounce or so. Next you will be able to see if there is any red meat left. If there is then you will need to flesh it again and make sure its all gone. You can either salt it again and then rehydrate it again or just put it right into your pickling solution. If I were you after you finish removing the red meat.I would then just put it straight into the pickle not salt it again. Because since its salted dried you will have to relax that skin prior to pickling.

Sorry I forgot to say let it wash out for only 15 mins

This response submitted by Matthew on 11/16/05 at 12:29 PM. ( ) 209.184.113.254

I meant only relax your elk cape salted dreid for 15 minutes no more. Unless the skin isn't loose. Otherwise after it has been rehydrated and you leave it in there in the laundry soap water. Then your risking it with slippage spots.

Return to Tanning Category Menu