Pickle - Shaving

Submitted by Ryan on 11/16/05 at 4:09 PM. ( coylerd@yahoo.com ) 67.136.217.231

Once you've let a deer cape sit in the pickle for a couple days and go to shave it, can it be rinsed first and then returned to the pickle afterwards. The reason I ask is that I typically take the hide out of the pickle and shave it without rinsing and then return it to the pickle for a day or two. Shaving it with pickle solution is ruining my flesher blades (Dakota). No matter how well I clean them they still rust and get ruined. I wondered if rinsing the hides would make a difference and if it would upset the pickling process. Thankyou much.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

No

This response submitted by Neal Wright on 11/16/05 at 4:24 PM. ( nealwtaxidermy@yahoo ) 192.208.130.113

Never put a pickled hide in pure water, unless youve added baking sode to neutralize it. As for as your machine, i wipe clean, and spray with a atomizer i have filled with a baking soda/water mixture. Then I put a light coat of machine oil or wd-40 on the blade.

yes

This response submitted by lj on 11/16/05 at 6:13 PM. ( jonestaxidermy02@aol.com ) 72.150.108.5

I have been doing my own tanning for over 20 years and have always given my hides a 5min. soak in warm water, then drain before shaving this relaxes the hide for easier shaving.never had any problems doing it this way.

LJ

This response submitted by John on 11/16/05 at 7:00 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

Do you do this during the pickle stage?

john

This response submitted by lj on 11/16/05 at 8:39 PM. ( jonestaxidermy02@aol.com ) 72.150.108.5

yes after the skins have been in the pickle for at least 3 days shave then return to pickle for 1day

Surprised

This response submitted by John on 11/16/05 at 10:16 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

you haven't experienced acid swell. I have been told by the experts here to never ever under no circumstance expose a skin to pure water. Interesting huh, what type pickle acid do you use? Have you had slipping or anything of the sort?

john

This response submitted by lj on 11/16/05 at 10:36 PM. ( jonestaxidermy02@aol.com ) 72.150.108.5

i use safety acid & have no slipping problems.I am only rinseing the pickle off the surface of the skin with the 5 min. or less soak .then drain, shave then back to the pickle at a ph of 2.0 or lower.

lj, you're on borrowed time

This response submitted by George on 11/16/05 at 10:42 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.130

Do you know what you're doing to the pH of the hide with that little trick? Obviously not. You're taking a hide with a pH of 1-3 lets say and then shocking it with a pH of 7-8 and then reshocking it with a pH of 1-3. You've basically neutralized your pickle before you shave which should be making your hide not shave as well as it does straight out of the pickle. One day, sooner than you think, you're going to end up with a severe case of acid swell and be on here asking what you can do to fix it. Stop playing with chemicals. I'm not doubting in the least that you've done it, but I want to go on record as pointing out that it's not a very smart thing to do.

george

This response submitted by lj on 11/16/05 at 11:25 PM. ( jonestaxidermy02@aol.com ) 72.150.108.5

I dont disagee with what your saying about the ph thing . But i have been pickling this way for 20+ years. I think a problem would have showed up by now with slippage or acid swell if it was going to.

Ryan im with GEORGE on this one

This response submitted by paul e on 11/17/05 at 7:08 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.122.82

you may get away with it sometimes
but your rolling the dice
your going to to roll bad on one and get acid swell
no reason to wash it at this point
just shave and return to pickle
or neutralize it then wash it if you want to
p.s. if you use stop rot
you probably wont have to return it to the pickle a second time
and its a good buffer before you neutralize
especially around the eyes,nose,and mouth
look in the archives the point George made is well documented
paul e

Thank you

This response submitted by Ryan on 11/17/05 at 2:34 PM. ( ) 67.136.217.231

I think I'll avoid the troubles and not rinse, and try washing my flesher with the baking soda solution. I have never used stop rot though. Do you think this is necessary. I don't get a perfect shave on the face because I am always concerned with cutting through but I try to get 99% of the meat and fat off.

Salting First

This response submitted by Greg on 11/18/05 at 11:39 AM. ( ) 198.208.6.35

I hate to ask, But is it really important to salt a cape if I have done a good job of rough fleshing. Can I go directly to the pickel
and after 3 days to the fleshing machine..? then back to the pickel for a day...

Return to Tanning Category Menu