McKenzie tan

Submitted by Jake on 11/16/05 at 6:26 PM. ( Rabidbowhunter@aol.com ) 205.188.116.203

I bought a McKenzie tanning kit and tried it on a whitetail cape I have. I followed the instructions but when I pickled it with Saftee acid It didnt seem to do anything

Return to Tanning Category Menu

McKenzie tan

This response submitted by Jake on 11/16/05 at 6:28 PM. ( Rabidbowhunter@aol.com ) 205.188.116.203

Sorry I messed up. But anyways can anyone help me with this problem. I followed the instructions the best I could. Any help is great.

What

This response submitted by John on 11/16/05 at 7:12 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

would you expect to see from pickling. It pickles the skin and swells it for shaving.

Jake ?

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 11/16/05 at 7:34 PM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 141.158.145.173

What problem? A pickle is an acid that sweels the hide so you can shave it thinner. A thin hide will help you in having a softer hide. There are numerous ways of shaving a hide. For me I have a big machine that does it. You can do it by hand but it's a lot of work.
You don't have to shave it but if the hide is real thick it's harder for any tan to work in properlly. But all in all you can still do it and get a decent result from it. Take your time and read some more in the archives or type in shaving by hand in the search engine here.

Return to Tanning Category Menu