First timer. Send cape out or tan myself?

Submitted by steve on 11/18/05 at 10:27 AM. ( neseolson@aol.com ) 205.188.116.203

Ok, I'm going to mount a buck I just harvested. It's currently frozen. I've watched video's and they recommend the salting method prior to tanning. No problem. My dilemna is should I tan the cape myself or just send it to a tannery. I feel confident that I can tan the hide with proper instructions, but I also have some doubts as to weather it may turn out nice. If I tan it myself, can I get some recommendations on which product to use. Thanks

steve

Return to Tanning Category Menu

send it out

This response submitted by Jim on 11/18/05 at 10:34 AM. ( ) 24.220.53.240

I would send one out frozen to get completely ready to mount,
this way you will know what it should look like if you try to do it yourself. And if you do not have a fleshing machine I would send all out salted.
good luck, Jim

tanning

This response submitted by TR on 11/18/05 at 10:56 AM. ( trfishn@aol.com ) 205.188.116.134

Steve,
If you have no experience in tanning or taxidermy I would recommend starting with some back skins or pieces of deer hide if you plan on doing it yourself. This way you will at least get the feel of fleshing and shaving the skin. Why practice on your trophy deer head? You will need to salt your cape whether going to a tannery or you do it yourself. McKenzie offers good tanning products. TR

learn how

This response submitted by Mr.T on 11/18/05 at 4:40 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.27

Steve, as TR said, find some scrap hides to practice tanning on. It is not that hard to do. You will need to learn how anyway. It will mean more to you if you tan you're first trophy, second and third trophies. Many have gone down this road before you, and tanning is not rocket surgery. Any brush on tans are great, Liqua tan is very good in my opinion. And simple to use.

depends

This response submitted by samantha on 11/18/05 at 7:55 PM. ( ) 211.27.82.23

On what you feel comfortable doing.

If you want to have a go at tanning go for it. It isnt 'hard' you just need to be aware of things that can go wrong, why and what to look out for.
Decide what tan method you want to use, search thru the tanning archs for that method and print out as much info as you can and sit down and read it all.
Then i guess it comes down to what set up you have and what your prepard to spend V's a commercial tannner costs. Its your own mount so you foot the bill and time ($ per hour) isnt an issue.
If you buy equipment you have it forever/ long time with care.

I hope i made sense. :-)

Where to send

This response submitted by Steve on 11/19/05 at 8:58 PM. ( ) 71.34.189.247

I am in the same dilema but where can you send a hide to get tanned .... is there a place to send the hide that could turn the lips, eyes,ears, knose ... I am afraid that when I go to turn the lips and such I could ruin the cape... is there a full service tanner?... any info would be great

Thanks

Steve

Return to Tanning Category Menu