tanning coyotes

Submitted by pete on 11/20/05 at 12:38 AM. ( muley47@yahoo.com ) 71.32.155.118

I have been using Saftee Acid to pickle and EZ-tan to tan coyotes and I am not having much luck. I am tubing the coyotes then salting, pickling, neutralizing, tanning, then oiling. I have then tried to break them with a hack saw blade but apparently doing something wrong. They are not turning out as well as I would like. What are you guy using?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

It's your breaking

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 11/20/05 at 6:38 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 70.18.64.133

that's seams to be the trouble. If your doing a soft tan I like to oil my hides twice before I break mine. Now for breaking a hacksaw seams to be the wrong way to go and that causing your troubles. Try an axe head that isn't very sharp or an end of a metal table.
I can use my bandsaw table witch is metal and has a good blunt edge. I run the skin over this a few times and get a real soft hide.
Now the idea also is to start breaking a hide when about 90% of the moisture is gone. If your working it before hand it really becomes a waste of time. The fibers are way to wet to make them break down to become soft. Just try a different braking tool and you should see a difference.

i always..

This response submitted by terryr on 11/20/05 at 11:22 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

use lutanf for soft tan and break by hand - no problem

Return to Tanning Category Menu