I think I am using to much salt....

Submitted by Michelle W on 11/24/05 at 11:54 AM. ( michellestaxidermy@zoomshare.com ) 68.154.95.188

How much salt do I need to use on an average 20- 21 inch Whitetail cape? I think I am using to much salt. I know it never hurts to put a little extra salt on the hide. I just don't want to waste more than I have to. I use about 35 lbs on one cape now as it is.... Thanks.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

wow

This response submitted by lance on 11/24/05 at 12:41 PM. ( ) 141.150.254.195

i dont know how many pounds of salt I use but I bet I can get ten to twelve hides salted form a 80 pound bag. So I would venture to guess that I use about 6-8 pounds per hide and never have a problem. Too much salt......there never can be but I do feel like yiour overkilling by a LOT

7 lbs.

This response submitted by tom b. on 11/24/05 at 12:59 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.130

I use only about seven lbs. per cape. If you have an extra large cape you may need more.

Well.........

This response submitted by Old Fart on 11/24/05 at 6:26 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.110

......I've been accused of overkill when I used a 50 pound bag per bear. I usually get 6-8 capes done with a 50 pound bag.

Michelle

This response submitted by paul k on 11/24/05 at 7:08 PM. ( smtaxidermy@comcast.net ) 68.83.60.41

I'm with old fart, I get maybe 6-10 capes from a 50 lb. bag, It really depends on the amount of humidity in the air where your salting your capes, as to what it takes to completely dry them.
If your salting in a damp basement, the salt will draw the moisture out of the air, walls etc. and back onto your cape and it will seem to never dry. If your in a humid area you can build a small area or a small shed for salting and insulate and run a dehumidifier, or fan to speed up the drying. You can also use a large cardboard box, cut an opening and park a dehumidifier in front of it. Hang your cape over a broom stick inside the box. Your cape should be dry in a day or two with minimal salt wasted.

I know salt is cheap, but you guys are NUTS

This response submitted by George on 11/24/05 at 7:20 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.130

I use MAYBE 3 pounds of salt on a deer cape and MAYBE 6 pounds on a small to medium bear and MAYBE 10 pounds on a larger bear. Then I rub the salt in. If you aren't rubbing it in, you're depending on the weight of the salt to do your dirty work. I would HOPE you're using a salt table, and if you are, just how much of that salt is going on the floor?

salt

This response submitted by Mr.T on 11/24/05 at 7:43 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.28

I rub the salt in on both sides, than I lay a 1/4" layer of salt on the board, lay the cape on it, then cover with a nother 1/4" of salt on top. This is for a tubed cape. I go heavy on the face with more salt. Then cover with a plastic bag so the outside moisture does not wick into the salt. 24 hours, salt is red, cape is blue, ready for pickle.

Yeah

This response submitted by Michelle W on 11/25/05 at 12:40 AM. ( ) 68.154.95.188

I figgured i was over killing it a bit when I was salting but I was never sure how much to use. Like I said more salt never hurt, lol. Thanks for the help.

Return to Tanning Category Menu