old buckskins

Submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/26/05 at 1:29 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.220.126

I have been wondering about this for several days now but I have a little cousin that is wanting to tann two buck skins. But I am affraid that the skins are too old to be tanned, the skins have been sitting outside for two weeks now and he just got them in. I am wondering if there are any solutions that can be brought up for tanning old buckskins? What can I do to these hides so that my cousin can get his desired skins? I would also want to know if the hides don't stink and the skin and fat are still moist if that is a sign that the skins are still able to be tanned?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

what has the temperature been

This response submitted by B2 on 11/26/05 at 5:50 PM. ( ) 192.156.54.34

they might be salvageable. if the temps have been cold enough, to where they froze, then bacteria that can cause the hair to slip might not have had a chance to gain a foothold yet. use the orange button to the left to search for methods of tanning, as this is a common question, with many many different schools of thought. i would suggest ordering stop rot for the hides if anything is going to be done though. stick them in the freezer until ready to do any work on them to prevent any further damage until you are ready.

B2

the temperature

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/26/05 at 6:15 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.220.126

The temperature has been cold off and on. But there are some hard spots on the hides that I tink are due to decay/rotting. Are there any ways that we can work that out? Brandon

Another question

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/26/05 at 6:27 PM. ( Blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.220.126

Is it possible that I am able to apply salt to the hides to pull the blood off of them? I understand what you said B2 but is it safe to pull the blood from it now b/c I have them in a heated area and they are streched out between 6" foot diameter rings is that a feasable way to start the tanning process?

thank you

Brandon

What do you want to do?

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/26/05 at 7:32 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.12

What do you want to do? Usually when I hear "Buckskins" it means you want leather - or do you want to tan them hair on?

Either way I'd first flesh and then salt these skins before they have an opportunity to putrify on you. Then let them dry and store them and in the meantime you can decide what you want to do. I'm guessing this is your first opportunity to tan. If it is - then get a Kit and go from there. WASCO carries our Rittels Tanning Kits and others you can use. Look at their on-line Catalog.

leather Indian style clothes

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/26/05 at 7:52 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.222.184

My little cousin is planning to make him some clothes that he can wear for the winter or any time he wants. I do a lot of wall hangers but never have I done anything that involves making clothes except for a perminet case for my muzzleloader that is all that I have done. I have never woked with skins this old though.

Brandon

How old is "old"?

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/26/05 at 8:52 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.151

When you say "old" - in what way do you mean that? It has me puzzled as to what you are referring to. A bit more information on them would help.

one week old today

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/27/05 at 3:14 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.223.222

they are exactly one week old today.

Return to Tanning Category Menu