Types of Citric Acid that are Feasable

Submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/26/05 at 6:31 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.220.126

I have been confused about which type of citric acid should be used for different types of pelts. If any one has any suggestions pray tell.

thanks

Brandon

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I know what citric acid is.

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/26/05 at 6:44 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.220.126

I know what citric acid is I am just confused about when I need to use it. and how I need to use it.

Brandon

Go to the orange "search" button...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/26/05 at 7:31 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

And type in "citric acid pickle" Days of good reading in there!

Joe

how do I order that stuff

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/26/05 at 7:57 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.222.184

Joe thanks but now I need to know where to order it. and does it work on all types of pelts. I tried battery acid and it compleatly ruined one of the skins that I was working on and yes it was sulfuric acid too.

Brandon

supplier at the top of the page, yes, LOL!

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/26/05 at 8:04 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Every major Taxidermy supplier will cary citric acid... Gota beef with safetee acid?
Just wondering what happend to the hide you killed with sulfuric acid?
Salt or bacteria are the biggest reasons hides don't survive a pickle.

Have a good one!

Citric vs Saftee

This response submitted by John on 11/26/05 at 8:56 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

I was wondering the same thing Joe. Why not use saftee acid? It will go much further than citric acid. But just to let you know, Van Dykes pickling crystals are citric acid. Brandon, what the heck do you mean when do you use citric? Use it when you pickle the skin. On another note, it really doesn't matter what type skin you are pickling as long as the salt and the pH are in good standing.

Cictic acid @ a very good price

This response submitted by Mr.T on 11/27/05 at 11:01 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.148

http://www.chemistrystore.com/index.html

the more you buy, the cheaper the price.

the black degree

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/27/05 at 3:31 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.223.222

while I hade the hide in the pickle the hide turned black and got realy hard and it was imposible to strech it back to the size I had it. "John" I was just confused when to use the citric acid because the pH level could already be too high I have no way to record the pH level anyways I just tink that trying to get all this stuff is just way too damn expensive.

I would give safetee acid a try.

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/27/05 at 4:43 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

The nice thing about safetee acid is it's pH bottoms out at about 0.8 and for some reason that low of a ph will not hurt a cape or hide. And as the name implies... It is safe to use. I would highly recomend just trying a kit from one of the suppliers at the top of the page. A Lutan F or an EZ-100 kit has every thing you need except pH papers, salt, and water to make a great flat skin/rug or a mount ready cape.

On a side note, I have used sulfuric acid in the past and though the stuff is harsh. I have never had any thing like that happen. Just wondering... Was the hide in a metal bucket? Any time I see "black" Iron is usaly the reason. As far as being "hard" this is normaly because the hide was not relaxed before it went into the pickle.

Have a good one!
Joe

Stainless steel

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/27/05 at 4:57 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.223.222

I ordered a stainless steel tube and used it to make the Tanner's Dream. you can findout more about the Tanner's dream on the newest Question area.

thanks for all this info.

Brandon

can the steel!

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/27/05 at 7:12 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Never touch an acid to steel or stainless steel for that matter! Must be plastic or wood.

Educate me

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/27/05 at 7:51 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.223.222

I don't understand why is that It has never caused that me a problem with safetee why is this posible. I thought safetee was an acid.

Brandon

First Off

This response submitted by John on 11/27/05 at 8:38 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

Get some pH papers and tan a hundred or so hides. The hide you were talking about that turned black is a toe stumper. Never had that problem at all.

Return to Tanning Category Menu