A Tanner's Dream

Submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/27/05 at 4:50 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.223.222

Hi fellow tanners;

I have a serious question about a table I invented that is just for tanning animal hides. I was just wondering if this invention would work or not. The table has a 24 foot diameter tub with a 3 foot deepth. with leak proof adjustment rings that go all the way around it. The rings are used to strech the cape and at the same time get the hide ready for slipping the hair. The table also has a flesing rack and a salting rack all in one. My question is for all experience taxidermist is it possible to strech the cape and submerge the cape at the same time just changing the water every day?

thanks

Brandon

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Why?

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/27/05 at 6:17 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

You have many flaws grasshopper.
Guess I would need to see a picture of this contraption first.
I have no clue how one would get a 24X3 ft object into one's shop.
"get the hide ready for slipping the hair" I have no clue what this means.

More info please.
Joe

I thought he said a "table"

This response submitted by George on 11/27/05 at 7:45 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.130

Sounds like a damned moshe pit dance floor to me.

more info?

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/27/05 at 7:46 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.223.222

Joe how big is the normal size bear hide? most of the time they can stand over 6 foot tall sometimes larger. If you have any ideas on how to better make this invetion of mine please do tell. I have no way to send a picture to you but I will discribe it as well as I can. This table is all hand crafted by me. I used only the best metal stainless steel. I used asmuch knowledge that my father had and everything that I got off of here. If there is any way to downsize this tub please tell me. The majority of capes that I have done have been very large sometimes when I am done streching a cape they can be over 24 feet. I gess that is just because I usually hunt large Preditors. I just figured that the majority of tanners would like a 24 foot hide for a rug or a wall hanger. The fleshing rack is adjustable to fit any size cape. The salting rack is the same way. I just hate to buy all they things necessary for fleshing, salting, soaking, and streching seperately. I figured that it would be easier to have than to have all that equipment all over the place. This table is much more organized and takes up less space and takes less time to work a cape.

I hope this helps

Brandon

what should I do?

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/27/05 at 8:01 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.223.222

yo how could I make this tub hold any kind of chemical safely and easy to work with. Example is this "Should I line the tubs with a tough plastic that will not react with any acid or treatment chemical.

Brandon

George

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/27/05 at 8:14 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.223.222

hey why don't you keep your little smart ass remarks to yourself. No it is not a damned dance table. yes it is a table yes it is a good tool to have yes it is large and space consumeing and it might sound dumb to you but I feel that it would be just a good step up for those people that are wanting to try something new and mabe just mabe I could get it right and make a good profit off of it.

Brandon

Sounds dumb to me too

This response submitted by John on 11/27/05 at 8:29 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

I have to agree with Joe and George. Why in the heck would you want to stretch the hides to submerge them? That will solve absolutely nothing. When you say capes you must mean hides. I have never seen a 24' cape. Sorry, but it sounds like you need some more tanning knowledge before you go half cocked into the contraption you just described.

Well, Stainless steel will not work...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/27/05 at 8:52 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Acid and stainless steel do not work well together. Plastic would work better.

I am not sure exactly what you are talking about. There, To my knowledge is no need to have a "hide" toggled while in the pickle or in the tanning vat. Why would you stretch a hide before or during tanning? The trappers stretch hides to make them larger so they bring a higher price when sold. "Capes" that are tubed can also be strethced while drying to avoid having to do that when it is done being tanned. I think what you are tring to do is kill too many birds with one stone! Even when I tan bears for rugs, It takes up no more space in the shop than a deer cape. When they are stretched and toggled, they are set up in frames and leaned up aginst the wall. Fleshing is done on a beam that sits in the corner or on a machine that sits on the table. I do have a rack for salting but I can salt many capes at one time and they tend to dry quicker.

I think the contraption you are wanting to build would work for things like cow hides but, You are talking about taking up a 24ft diamiter for one hide at a time. Even the largest tannerys in the world use "drums" for tanning and rarely are larger than 12ft in diamiter.

Good idea but it'll never work.

Joe

What If

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/27/05 at 9:33 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.223.222

I have a question for all of you why is it that you say that it will never work even though we have been proven wrong at many things like we said the light bulb would never work the telephone would never be used b/c it would never work there is no way to talk into something and send your yoice to a person all the way across the USA. What if those people listened to the people that said "This Will Not Work!" Well let me tell you people that those inventors never gave up they kept on trying untill they got it right. I like many other people are very hard-headed and don't like to be told that it will not work b/c I like to call my self a hard thinker. I just wanted to see what you thought of it and how I could change anything on it but I gess that you are just going to tell me that it is a piss poor idea and that it will not work. But you know I thank you b/c all that you have told me will help me. I have figured out that if I kept everything that I said would be on there. I have just decided that the tub will be the size of 12 feet in diameter still metal but lined with plastic. There will be telescopic rods strong enough to strech any hide wanted so that way you will have to set the hide only once. But you will want to set the hide on the streching rods wile in the tub before you do anything the hide will then be able to be submerged. After the hide is ready to be dried all you have to do is grab the rods and release them the rods will have a series of holes to place pins in to hold the hide in place you can then strech the hides to any size that you want them. now can you tell me if this idea will work.

Brandon

I have another question for you all.

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/27/05 at 10:00 PM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.223.222

What if I was to tell you all that I am only 16 years old and I have killed many of deer, elk, mose, pronghorn, bear, mountain goats, and many other preditor animals. I had no idea that soo many of you don't realy care but I like to only hunt big game and I have had one too many ideas that have been brought to a hault because I have never had anyone to suport my ideas I just wanted to try something different for once but I gess you will just say that the idea is dumb. and so I say that I am sorry for wasting your time. but thanks for the help you provided.

Brandon

Brandon

This response submitted by John on 11/27/05 at 10:31 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

We all have ideas that sometimes in hind sight turn out to be really dumb ideas that did nothing but waste our time. Most of us on here are old farts set in our ways. Don't take anything personal. If you decide to build the tanning table with your Dad and it works for you then you have had success. Don't depend on others to like your ideas too much. You are going to get negative feedback 9 times out of 10 even from me. To me the contraption sounds like a waste of space just for the sole purpose of stretching hides. The process Joe uses is time tested and is a space saver. Now if you have a huge amount of space then I guess it will be ok. Most of us are in tight quarters already and can't spare an inch of space.

oh well

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/27/05 at 10:38 PM. ( ) 67.138.11.216

I guess for a mountain goat to become a "preditor" animal, it would HAVE to be 24 feet long. Anyway, George, its up to you whether you wanna believe this and maybe explain why metal doesnt work, we dont slip hides we tan with hair, and how to get plastic lined metal, etc etc. Youre on your own.

Brandon, Im not so sure Im buying all this, but good luck to you.

Ok, It will not work!

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/27/05 at 10:43 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

You are getting pissy because the people who do this for a living are telling you "it won't work!"
Who are you going to market this to? I tan a lot of hides every year. I don't have room for it! If it was 6ft I wouldn't have room for it! Do you know how much this thing would cost? Talking about support rods and plastic lined tubs. C'mon! It all needs to be plastic! We use acids and bases in tanning. If the acid don't kill it, the base will!
And I could give a rats ass how many animals you have killed. I hardly have time to hunt anymore! Will this thing save me time? Can I get more time with the kids? More time to go hunting?
The reason we say it will not work is because the only person who would use it is you!
SIZE matters! Why do you think the "Auto-Tanner" is so small?
Another problem you are having is you are trying to make more work of something that allready works just fine!
And another thing. Geroge's [expletive deleted] comments we like to call knowledge have kept him employed since before you went to the prom with your dad and came home with mom.
If you want opinons, You got them. Don't whine because you didn't hear what you wanted to.

Joe

Heck ,Bill

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 11/27/05 at 11:50 PM. ( J32a@aol.com ) 152.163.100.130

Don't you know they grow'em almost that big down here in TN. Them MT goats are only rivaled by them Hill top Prong horns in these parts.

Brandon,

This response submitted by jrosbor on 11/28/05 at 12:15 AM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Have you ever tanned a bear? It takes a hellava lot of work to soft tan them.
Now listen. You haven't been on here very long. And on two other posts you asked when to use Citric acid. And That we all need chemistry because sulfuric acid would not work to pickle a hide. Your story about this thing keeps changing. You asked in the orig post for the opinion of "all experience taxidermist". You also asked "I was just wondering if this invention would work or not". Now, the experienced taxidermist said it would not work. Why? Because you don't know enough about taxidermy or tanning to make something like this work.
You could very well be the next Edison or Bell. But do you think they would have become rich marketing there ideas to taxidermists?
Take a good look at who is doing the industry a favor.
Who are these people? Bruce Rittel, Glen Conley? How about suppliers like Knobloch's, BASF? These are the people who are bustin there butts to change the industry. Ask Glen Conley how much R&D he has on his plate right now. STOP-ROT alone was not the result of whining and complaining on a public forum. Not to mention EZ-Tan.
Spend some time tanning and get a little more knowledge on the problems taxidermists face every day.

Joe

Go for it;;;

This response submitted by Phillip on 11/28/05 at 12:33 AM. ( ) 202.180.83.6

Everyone is better off for trying things that they are passionate about.
Try it out, but make a proto-type from plastic bins etc to suit a small mammal like a possum. Try anything you can think of and keep good records of what you do. Once you are satisfied that it is the best you can make and you can prove it works well and better than conventional methods - Then you need a marketing person or a legal person.
Good luck.

Thank you everyone

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/28/05 at 8:25 AM. ( blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.215.106

yo thankyou for your time and I am sorry for trying to force you to like my idea. That was wrong on my part. I was just wanting to make a job easier for everyone. Oh well. Phillip, you and a lot of others have told me to use plastic well then okay. but do any of you know any good ordering sites that I can order the proper equipment from. I am still going to try my idea if it works it works if it doesn't it doesn't I gess. I am also very sorry for being pissy about it. I never said that a mountain goat was a preditor I ment a bear, mountain lions, panthers, bob cats, and cyote. You are all right I am sory for second gessing you. mabe someday I will figure it out but I hope that it wont be like Edison and find 2000 ways not to build an invetion but in his case a light bulb.

Brandon

OK Brandon, if you think THAT was smartassed, listen up

This response submitted by George on 11/28/05 at 12:30 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.130

That's about the dumbest thing I've heard of in the last week or two. "Most NORMAL bears are 6 ft". Where the hell do you live. MOST bears are less than that since MOST bears are black bears and these outfitters play by the "if it's black, shoot it" technique. Next off, what kind of aircraft hangar doors do I need to fit a TWENTY FOUR FOOT TABLE that's THREE FEET DEEP through? (When I started doing taxidermy, my whole shop would have fit into that contraption.) A good rugging table is usually 8 ft x 8 ft unless you're in Alaska and then it goes to 10. There's no "multipurposing" using. "BIG predators" come in only two sizes: grizzly and coastal browns. Anything else is one helluva lot smaller and could be done in a 30 gallon trash can. Tanning is in vats and tanning uses acids which make it virtually impossible to use ANYTHING OTHER THAN GLASS OR PLASTIC over a period of time continuously.

And finally, the reason so many of it said it was a dumbassed idea is that we've lived long enough to see such contraptions before and we know dumb when we see it. Don't compare this harebrained idea to anything Edison did. Edison knew electricity and had a good working knowlege of the engineering involved. From what you've said here, it sounds like you've just come through the door and think we're all gullible yahoos. So next time the word "smartassed" comes to mind in your comments, remember, I've been around long enough to have seen them come and go, I speak their language well, and I'm not afraid to tell people an idea is stupid when it is. And yours IS.

WTF is a mose?

This response submitted by Gary on 11/28/05 at 2:37 PM. ( sandstonejunkie@yahoo.com ) 129.71.207.101

"What if I was to tell you all that I am only 16 years old and I have killed many of deer, elk, mose, pronghorn, bear, mountain goats, and many other preditor animals."
Sounds to me like he doesn't need to invent anything to live a comfortable life. I would continue living the good life by hunting all these "preditors" listed above. Someone must already have plenty of money to hunt all the listed species.

I hust to live in Austrailia

This response submitted by Brandon Mayfield on 11/28/05 at 5:01 PM. ( Blomber2003@yahoo.com ) 64.85.216.138

I lived in Austrailia for alot of my life but every year my dad and I would go on hunting trips all over the world and you have very puny bears the largest bear I ever killed was 10 feet tall so don't tell me that they only get 6" ft. tall everywhere. Yes I do have a lot of money and sometimes too much I enjoy hunting and being in places that I have never been before. I do enjoy to hunt in the USA that is why I moved here at 13. I still do a lot of hunts but I don't hunt for bears in the USA. there is no reason for someone to call me a smartass either. I am just trying to get by and learn new things and advertise things to see what people of your qualities think of them. and for your information deer, elk, mose, pronghorn, and mountain goats are not preditors. I was saying that I hunt preditors like bear and large cats. I am sory if I didn't word what I said correctly so that you can better understand me. I am a very fast learner so please if you would just explain to me what I need to do if it is wrong and don't tell me that I am a dumbass who can't tell a donkeys ass from another. I am also wanting to tell you that I am going back to the drawing board to figure out everything that I did wrong. Like a good hunt you will never know what to expect because the wilderness is vast and dangerous not a soul can find out ways to tame it but they are able to maintain it.

Brandon

Brandon, you have a paper ass

This response submitted by George on 11/28/05 at 6:48 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.130

In case you didn't already know, I suffer fools badly and a teenaged fool is the worst kind. Unless of course, he's a snot nosed RICH teenage fool. YOU moved here at 13. Australia must have some different rules, but the US wouldn't welcome you here until you're 18 UNLESS you were accompanied by someone paying your freight.

It's painfully obvious to all of us now that you don't have a clue. YOU said MOST bears were over 6 feet and you haven't even been in this country long enough to speak about "most" yet. Few black bears in America are over that. I never lit that fire about "smartass", it was you, but if you truly have all that money, I'd suggest you invest it in an education and learn how to spell before you start corresponding with adults.

And PLEASE, go back to your drawing board. No idea is original, and in the several millennia that have passed since man first started using animal skins, I'm pretty confident you're not going to come up with any earthshattering discoveries. And if you truly are a "fast learner", you'll find out that ostentatiousness doesn't become you or impress any of us. Come back when you grow up and mature.

you know what

This response submitted by Brandon on 11/28/05 at 8:46 PM. ( ) 64.85.213.40

For once I have not much to say. I would have thought you would have known better. my Damn parents do live here in america with me and you know what America is suposed to be all great well I shall say this if I had it my way I would still be in Austrailia. and for your Information I only have 1,000,000 dollars that is not much so don't call me rich. I hate the word RICH. I just wanted to keep my ranch and horses. On another hand I'm no fool you jackass, you self centerd no good fudger. why is it that you just stir people up just to see what they do. and on another hand I would advise not to start it with me George.....

Brandon, take your own advice

This response submitted by George on 11/28/05 at 8:56 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.130

You don't want to go to a gunfight with a pocketknife. And the day my kids referred to me as "DAMN parents" would be the day that your ass formed a new doorway where a wall had been before.

Not taking sides-

This response submitted by oldshaver on 11/28/05 at 8:58 PM. ( ) 68.221.48.133

but, you all are full of sh1t about the stainless steel! I work with 16 stainless steel paddle vats every day, that are probablly over 20 years old, and each one have a pickle in them at least once a week! Plastic is for folks that cant afford stainless! This the way you treat a 16 year old, for trying to have a creative mind? He snapped back, because he was insulted, right from the get-go. Some of you guys need to climb down off of your high horse, and get a grip.

For Once

This response submitted by John on 11/28/05 at 10:04 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

OS I have to disagree with you on the 16 year old. He asked the question and didn't like what he heard. He seems to be one of those know it all kids that has maybe 2 or 3 tanned skins under his belt. He needs to get down to the basics and not try to re-invent the wheel. In another post he said the stuff for tanning was way too expensive and he didn't even have pH strips, now he claims to have 100,000 bucks. Sh1t, I wish I had a hundred grand in the bank right now. He is full of piss and vinegar if you ask me. I have to agree with George and the rest of the high horse folks that don't have the fancy equipment you do in one of the top 5 tanneries in the country.

I agree with George

This response submitted by Henry on 11/29/05 at 1:38 AM. ( ) 65.174.44.31

Where to start? I was browsing for information on tanning hair-on hides, but this is too good to pass up. Yeah, I would scrap the unrealistic contraption and invest in both an education and a little respect, both for others and yourself. What are "mose" and "preditors"? Is "ment" the same as meant? Or is it some Australian colloquialism? The petulant whining and feeling sorry for yourself, Brandon, may work on other chat rooms or with your punk-ass-bitch, gangsta-wannabe friends but in this forum it is simply pathetic and tiresome. Get yourself some good books, read up on tanning and dimensions(surely you mean 24 square feet, yes?) and chemicals, and hey if you want to build that silly thing when much cheaper and far more marketable products are currently available--by all means do so.

arent we ALL laughable!

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/29/05 at 1:40 AM. ( ) 67.138.12.165

Arent we all so bored after getting a break from caping heads that we all squabble in here. This kid aint for real, George is worked up, OS does his usual, I throw my typical two cents in, we can all laugh at each other! Lets face it, we are all guilty...but, having said that, why cant the kid, a fast learner, spell? Haha, lets keep having fun, but not take ourselves too seriously. I knew he was in trouble when he first started off with "Fellow tanners" and isnt one...

Thats one million

This response submitted by os on 11/29/05 at 11:47 AM. ( ) 65.15.237.222

I didnt say I didnt agree with George about the kids idea, just the lack of tact in explaining its short comings. Coaching on tanning from a high perch, and saying that stainless is a bad product, because it cant handle a pickle, was rediculous at best. Stainless would be a bad choice because of its weight, and lack of portibility. thats all.

A million

This response submitted by John on 11/29/05 at 9:30 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

well that kinda blew up my nose. Now I know he is a spoiled rich kid! I wish I had that much money at my disposal. I'd just open a damn tannery with that kind of capital! Sh1t that's rich to me! LOL! I could live happily on the interest alone!

Return to Tanning Category Menu