Tanning Deer Hide for a Throw.. best method?

Submitted by Rebecca on 11/28/05 at 11:40 PM. ( woodlandtrophies@aol.com ) 205.188.116.203

What would you believe to be the best method to tan a deer hide for a throw? I usually send all my capes out to a local tannery for mounting. I wish to do this myself at home & am unsure if same methods apply or not? Thank you for your time!
Rebecca

Return to Tanning Category Menu

you need 3 items

This response submitted by terryr on 11/28/05 at 11:48 PM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

saftey acid - lutanf - oil - elbow grease is optional

breaking

This response submitted by John W. on 11/29/05 at 7:15 PM. ( ) 12.215.63.237

The most important elementin tanning soft hides is the breaking,of course the hide must be thinned properly first.Ihave hides tanned with Liqua-tan that are as soft as the hides I have tanned with Lutan-f and EZ-100,make sure your hides are thinned properly first and then your gonna have to use elbo grease and break them bad boys.

Remember - these are hollow haired skins!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/30/05 at 1:30 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.138.138

The only reason I bring this up is because too many times people tan and use these skins as throws on their chairs or sofas and experience having hairs break off and stick to their garments. Be careful where you use these types of skins. Dont use them where they are subject to wear.

The best tan in the world wont prevent hair snapping off as it dries out and ages. This is a natural thing with hollow hair. You can slow it down by spraying it with a Lanolin wig spray - but the tradeoff is an oily feeling to the hair - plus it doesnt prevent it from happening eventually!

Return to Tanning Category Menu