Preping hides for tannery?

Submitted by Michelle W on 11/29/05 at 2:41 PM. ( michellestaxidermy@zoomshare.com ) 138.162.128.37

I know every tannery is different in the way they want capes preped befor you send them to the Tannery, but could you give me some idea on do's and dont's.

If the cape has blood in the hair do I need to wash it befor I salt dry it or will they take care of that at the tannery? How much blood is passable?

BORAX... I use borax when I flesh my capes to dry preserve them. I was wondering if it was alright to use on a cape I am going to send to the tannery? I get 99% of the borax off when I flesh the cape.

If borax is not ok than how well does the cape need to be fleshed befor I salt it. I know all the fat and meat has to be fleshed off but what about the membreane? Does all the membrane have to come off as well?

Thanks.

Michelle W

Return to Tanning Category Menu

fleshing

This response submitted by RobinK on 11/29/05 at 6:59 PM. ( ) 12.159.8.176

ROUGH FLESH LIKE YOUR GOING TO TANIT YOUR SELF fat and chunks of meat turn every thing salt dry ship

Tannery Prep

This response submitted by David Patton on 11/29/05 at 9:16 PM. ( ) 12.76.208.21

Michelle,

Robin said it in a nutshell. I would add try visiting the website of the tannery of your choice and look for the prep tips that are usually offered. Turning lips, ears, splitting noses, removing tail bones and knuckles in feet, etc. in addition to removal of heavy layers of meat and fat will greatly improve the quality of the tan you receive back.

No Borax

This response submitted by John on 11/29/05 at 9:25 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

Leave the borax completely out of the picture when you are going to tan the skin.

Like John - leave the Borax out!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/30/05 at 1:40 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.138.138

Please - Don't use Borax! It will raise hell with the Tannery's PH Levels! Instead use something inert like sawdust or cornmeal if you feel you want to eliminate a lot of the wettness while fleshing. They have no influence on the PH.

borax babe.

This response submitted by ej on 11/30/05 at 8:34 AM. ( toomuchspam.ccc ) 216.114.124.121

like bruce says. it's an extra step for the tannery to netralize the borax. nobody uses it much, except sometimes some grey fox come in from the southwestern usa with alot of borax on the hide. it kills bugs etc. but it really raises hell with the ph, and often does not tan up well at all. especially if the tannery is not aware of it.
michelle it is best to just stretch and air dry. with a little salt around the ears and heavily fleshed areas. i would not worry too much about blood either. a good tannery will have no problems removing that.
tally hoe.
ej

Blood

This response submitted by MichelleW on 11/30/05 at 2:33 PM. ( ) 138.162.128.38

Ok.... I am sure you know how some Deer processors work. They cape the deer and put them on the cooler floor til the customer or the taxidermist comes and gets them. Yes their are till a few that hang them up like their supposed to be but the majority of the ones down here just throw them on the floor.

The tanneries won't get mad if I leave blood on the cape? Their are a few capes with a good bit of blood on them. I was told that it was not a good idea to wash a cape you planned on salting because it takes more time to dry leading to the chance bacteria will set in. What are your thoughts on this...

prep for tannery

This response submitted by gary on 12/1/05 at 10:24 PM. ( ) 70.240.176.26

basic prep for most tanners are flesh off heavy meat and fat. 1 pound of salt to pound of skin. lay on plywood on an angle to drain replace salt when wet repeat until dry. also advantage fur dressing in houston takes frozen skins and preps themselves for a fee. hope this helps

Return to Tanning Category Menu