deer rug

Submitted by The Last of the Mohicans on 11/30/05 at 11:24 AM. ( ) 170.158.175.176

I'm getting several deer hides today and would like to make one or two into rugs and tan the others. Does any one have any suggestions (particularly with the rugs)? I do my own tanning (small game) and all I've ever used is a salt and alum solution I've made myself. It appears to work well with the small critters but will this be sufficiant for a deer?(This will be my first time tanning a big game animal.) If not, I DO NOT want to resort to buy a tanning solution from a producer but instead make my own. I would like to be as self-reliant and natural as possible with my tanning. Thankyou for all your help.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Last

This response submitted by Doug on 11/30/05 at 12:15 PM. ( ) 12.40.253.98

If you want to be so "Self Reliant" why would you ask a bunch of Taxidermists this question?

We would tell you to buy the best tanning materials from a supplier that you can and to use them. It sounds like you want to be all natural. The words Brain Tanning come to mind.

Another question: Why would the use of alum differ from the use of any other chemical tan as far as being "natural"? All the chemicals used in tanning can be considered "natural".

Get real and do it right. Buy the right stuff and quit kidding yourself.

use what-

This response submitted by oldshaver on 11/30/05 at 7:21 PM. ( ) 70.144.183.224

you are already using. Oil and break the skins.

Do you know where I can get.......

This response submitted by The Last of the Mohicans on 12/1/05 at 11:11 AM. ( ) 170.158.175.178

a large supply of alum to do this? I REALLY need some HELPFUL ionformation on the rugs too. I might remind you that I am not as seasoned as some of you other taxidermists so I decided to try to learn from the axperienced. I meant that I just want to make my own solutions. They work just as well if made and used right. But I seriously thank you for suggesting the brain tanning process Doug. I'm not being sarcastic. I will seriously look into this process. Thanks.

sorry for the typo...

This response submitted by The Last of the Mohicans on 12/1/05 at 11:13 AM. ( ) 170.158.175.178

it's supposed to be "experienced"

Last

This response submitted by Ree on 12/3/05 at 1:59 AM. ( re@netzero.com ) 64.136.27.226

I like to read and learn from everyones questions and responses. Doug, I dont know who you are but it "reads" like you know a lot about the business of tanning, one could also "read" into your response that you must be a jerk. Your response to The Last of the Mohicans is very sarcastic.

Why thank you Ree!

This response submitted by The Last of the Mohicans on 12/5/05 at 1:56 PM. ( ) 170.158.175.92

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who sees it as a sarcastic remark.(No offense to Doug though. I would have liked to hope that he was only kidding)

Return to Tanning Category Menu