Another tannery question.

Submitted by MichelleW on 12/8/05 at 12:06 PM. ( michellestaxidermy@zoomshaer.com ) 138.162.128.38

I just sent off for a packet from "Seminole Fur Dressing" in Alabama. Has anyone ever used them befor. Please tell me what you think about their work/tan's. What kinda streach, turn around time, etc etc etc. Think I migt send a few capes their way as well this year since they are closer. Just want to know what other people think of them good and bad. Thanks...

Return to Tanning Category Menu

michelle

This response submitted by michael s on 12/8/05 at 12:38 PM. ( ) 67.140.124.225

i heard you better flesh them well to send to them.
I know taxidermist's that had skins sent back to them untouched because they weren't fleashed good enough.
Have you ever tried Ed Waldun in Greenville SC

I

This response submitted by Kim Collins on 12/8/05 at 1:27 PM. ( bubbastaxidermy@direcway.com ) 128.192.139.89

just took a lifesize moose to Waldun (thanks Michael S). I toured their business and must say I was happy with what I saw there. A little tough to find if you are going to take things to them.And the turn around time you couldnt ask for more. I know still need to see my cape when I get it back but I have no reason to believe it will not be as nice as the piles I saw there. We live North of Athens,Ga. so it only took me 1 hr and 20 mins. to get there. And I like having a place I can go to instead of shipping my hides and having to worry about them.I plan on taking a pile of deer hides up the week after Christmas.
And Michael S. you are right Ed is hard to understand but he seems to know his business so you just have to listen closely.

Thanks again and I will post again after I get my hide back,

Kim Collins
Bubba's Taxidermy

Yes I have

This response submitted by MichelleW on 12/8/05 at 2:35 PM. ( michellestaxidermy@zoomshare.com ) 138.162.128.38

Yes I think I have herd of them. Acctually Bill Haynes recomended them to me in the last E-mail he sent me. What is his turn around time for capes? Give me a little info on him and his work if you don't mind....

Michelle

This response submitted by Kim Collins on 12/8/05 at 3:59 PM. ( bubbastaxidermy@direcway.com ) 128.192.139.89

Hey,
Well he told me 4 weeks on my lifesize Moose. As far as him,he told me he had worked for a big tannery no names and moved to S.C and started his own I believe he said 6 yrs. ago. And as far as his work what I saw when I toured the place on Wednesday looked great I saw a l/s bear,lots of whitetail capes and L/S. Also saw several different types of small game pelts. He also offers wet or dry tans. Place looks nice and everyone there was very helpful. It seemed to me to be a business that cared about what they do and who they do it for. Believe me if I didnt feel comfortable with the whole place I wouldnt have left a l/s moose hide that belongs to my BIGGEST client(good for at least 20 mounts a year). I would never take a chance on anything that belonged to a client I might have let him do something of mine before trying him on a clients piece if I didnt have a good feeling about the place. After all the stories I hear on here about tanneries that is why I went up there myself to check it out.
It may be best for you to do the same its about a 5 1/2 hr. drive from Leesburg but it may be worth it to you for your own piece of mind.

But after saying all this I will say I havent had anything done by him but in 4 weeks I will be able to tell you for sure what I think. But I feel pretty good after seeing the place. And I will say I was going to go to Carolina Fur Dressers with the moose if I didnt like the place they seem to be used by alot of folks.

I hope this helps,

Kim Collins
Bubba's Taxidermy
Danielsville,Georgia

I called and talked to ED

This response submitted by MichelleW on 12/8/05 at 4:44 PM. ( ) 138.162.128.38

I called and talked to Ed Waldun and he is going to send me a price list and some packing slips with some other info. Thank you Kim you have been very helpful. He said he charges $32 a cape for short "Y", thats great and with a 4 week turn around. Thats even better.

Can anyone else tell me anything else about Waldun Fur Dressors? What kinda streach does his capes get and what kinda shape they come back in. Any other input would be great thanks....

Return to Tanning Category Menu