Abcess/gangrene?

Submitted by Kristi on 12/12/05 at 1:49 PM. ( ) 144.9.8.21

I received a deer head completely frozen. I thawed it in my shop of about 40-45 degrees for about 20 hours with ice packs on the ears. When I made the Y incision on the back of the skull, I realized what I had got into... some kind of abcess the size of a baseball. Lots of green snotty stuff went everywhere, and it smelled funkier than any 3-day old dead critter! It would've gagged a magot. It had actually degenerated the muscle tissue all the way to the skull plate. And I thought I'd just run out there, skin this deer, and 25 minutes later be cooking my dinner. I should've ate earlier. ;-)

Anybody seen this? I fleshed the area around the abcess and put it in the freezer to finish up later. I hope I don't have trouble tanning this, since it would seem like a breeding farm for bacteria. I use safety acid and lutan F.

And... should I inform the people about their deer meat? An abcess like that has got to carry some high fever with it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Don't you just love surprises?

This response submitted by George on 12/12/05 at 2:57 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

This is "normal" for the bang and clang life of a whitetail during the rut. Nothing unusual about them UNLESS you look at the skull cap and can detect voids in the bones (i.e. pinholes or spots that light is clearly visible through). This is a bacteria borne disease that's spread through the pedicles and CAN be transferred to humans much like tularimia. If present, by all means contact your customer and advise his to dispose of the meat. Otherwise, the butcher will likely have disposed of infected and blood shot portions anyway.

P.S. That's not a good time to think about Danen pistacio yogurt, is it?

My buddy harvested a deer once...

This response submitted by marty on 12/12/05 at 3:19 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...that sounds similar. It had been shot in the hind quarter several weeks earlier in the early gun season. There was all sorts of clotted blood and stenchy stuff in the cavity when he gutted it. The meat processor called him later that week when he got to it and told my buddy that he lost all of one hind quarter and parts nearby as well. I didn't eat any of that deer - lol!

Ha!

This response submitted by Kristi on 12/12/05 at 4:22 PM. ( ) 144.9.8.21

Yeah, George... it'll be a long time before I have a craving for Danen pistacio yogurt again! I have an iron clad stomach. I've done all kinds of roadkill without blinking an eye... but this thing was bad, I guess maybe because it caught me totally by surprise.

Do you think it will tan out ok?

By the way, what do you do when you lose a cape to something you can't control? Thankfully, I haven't lost one yet. Do you offer to charge the customer for your additional time and get another one if it's available?

Kristi

Kristi

This response submitted by George on 12/12/05 at 5:28 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

If the hair didn't fall out already, it won't after you start the pickle. I get them in occasionally with broad swaths of hair missing because of these injuries. You know what's truly amazing about deer, though, it their ability to grow HAIR IN THEIR SCABS. I've combed out swatches of hair that had covered recently inflicted cuts and bruises that were healing over, and it looked as if the hair was actually growing from the scab and migrating to cover the damaged spot.

Funny

This response submitted by DaveT on 12/12/05 at 9:19 PM. ( ) 24.32.86.13

I just took in a deer with a baseball tumor under his chin. Not an infection at all just a hrad lump of.... tumor?

I told the customer I might have to charge him extra to have it tested to see if it is cancerous and if so, another 1250.00 to throw it in the microwave (radiation treatment). I guess he saw the humor in it as he dropped off two fish the next evening as well as the deer.

DaveT

wow... too funny

This response submitted by Kristi on 12/12/05 at 11:02 PM. ( ) 65.214.41.72

DaveT,
Quasimoto deer! Did the baseball size tumor (or whatever) seem to stretch and disfigure the hide? Hope everything tucks in ok on that...

Dr. 90210 would charge at least a grand or so to fix that!

Kristi

i got one in...

This response submitted by Griz on 12/12/05 at 11:05 PM. ( ) 69.66.146.46

and it was already BLACK, it was so rotten! And man oh man did it smell! underneath the chin and all kinda of scar tissue- like cartilage! I hope it doesn't slip there when pickling! But we'll see, cross my fingers and hope for the best, and make sure to have some stop rot ready i guess :)

Same here

This response submitted by mrdux on 12/12/05 at 11:07 PM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 70.157.229.190

I have found similar abcesses in deer but the ones that have almost taken my lunch were on wild boars. I recently caped one that had about a half dozen abcesses that were about the size of a golf ball. Most were near the neck or shield. NASTY!

Return to Tanning Category Menu