Sulphuric acid

Submitted by Rowan on 12/27/05 at 10:29 AM. ( ) 206.172.172.153

Anyone know of a tanning recipe with sulphuric acid, salt and soft water in it? I used to have that recipe, but lost it. Any help would be appreciated.
Rowan

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Sounds as if you didn't lose anything

This response submitted by George on 12/27/05 at 12:01 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.74

But if you look in the archives under the SEARCH icon, you can type in "sulfuric acid tan recipe" and get it. Best bet, however, is to change over to a safer and less harsh alternative.

Sulfuric Acid Pickle

This response submitted by Lloyd on 1/4/06 at 9:00 AM. ( slec4@aol.com ) 164.156.210.1

When I learned taxidermy from Jim Mackerell in Concordville ,PA back in 1977, he had been doing taxidermy for about 30 plus years and had NEVER tanned any animal he personally mounted. He used what he called a "hot pickle" which used 5 gallons of water, 8 lbs. of salt and 160 cc of concentrated sulfuric acid. This was made up the day before the relaxed hide/ cape was immersed in the solution for 30 minutes for the first one and the time increased to 1 hour total immersion time by the seventh cape or the solution was neutralized and dumped after 3 weeks. So it was used for 7 capes or 3 weeks which ever came first. Capes were neutralized for 2 hours in 5 gallons of water, a handful of baking soda, and a handful of 20 Mule Team Borax. The cape was then drip dried for about an hour , holes sewed, ears bondoed and sewn up ,pinned and positioned and left to dry 2 weeks before finishing. Jim Mackerall was nationally known in the 70's ,had a taxidermy school /supply company, and had hospitality rooms at NTA conventions. He told me that you don't need to tan mounts. Most I have not tanned and some I have. I see no difference relating to either quality or longevity of the mounts. I have both types over 25 years old. I have a Pepi tanned bearskin that is about 20 years old that can be easily pulled apart ,and I've got a bear I only pickled 24 years ago,both stored under the exact same conditions ,that is as good today as when mounted.

Return to Tanning Category Menu