When can i notice slippage of a deer?

Submitted by Matt on 12/28/05 at 11:37 AM. ( ) 208.193.163.118

I am in the porcess of tanning my first deer cape and I was wondering when I will be able to tell if it worked out alright. I have read about many people saying that the tan does not cause slippage, it is the process before you actually tan which determines if it is going to slip. So is it right to assume that if there is no slippage when done with the pickle then it is alright? By the way I am using McKenzie tan.
Thank you for your information.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

You are correct USUALLY

This response submitted by George on 12/28/05 at 12:00 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.130

Slippage is caused by the skin spoiling for some reason. Fresh hides entered into a pickle and then tanned have no reason to slip and the pickle will simply lock it in. In some cases, the slip will happen during the pickle, but only because the process had begun BEFORE it was entered into the pickle.

Thanks

This response submitted by Matt on 12/28/05 at 2:59 PM. ( ) 208.216.156.228

I did not notice any hair falling off at that point so I will probably be OK. Thanks

Over neutralizing

This response submitted by John on 12/28/05 at 5:36 PM. ( ) 68.206.82.222

will also cause slip.

slippage

This response submitted by ej on 12/28/05 at 9:37 PM. ( toomuchspam.ccc ) 216.114.124.121

matt. John and George gave you some good solid advise there. listen to them.
happy new year to all you tanners out there! and to old spice too. i mean oldshaver. sorry..
ej

EJ

This response submitted by John on 12/28/05 at 11:07 PM. ( ) 68.206.82.222

Hey guy it's me. Your old pissing match buddy. My IP address changed with a new machine I had to buy. I know we have had our fair share of arguements but I just wanted to say Happy New Year to you. May you be prosperous in 2006. No joking.

bury the hatchet

This response submitted by ej on 12/29/05 at 4:57 AM. ( toomuchspam.ccc ) 216.114.124.121

hey john, lets bury the hatchet, [in your head] no, just kidding....
happy to new year to you as well. may the fights get even nastier on here!...hey anybody heard from David Patton lately, he often has keen advise on here.
happy year a new to all for 2006...now it's back to skinin for me. I quess i do not have enough scars on my hands.
ej

Still around

This response submitted by David Patton on 12/29/05 at 8:33 AM. ( ) 12.2.142.7

EJ, thanks for asking! I have been covered up with work over the last few weeks. Thanks to guys like ya'll getting the word out about my tanning.

I still check in on a regular basis, but most of the posts get answered before I get to them and they are answered with good advice too.

I hope ya'll had a Happy Holiday season and the New Year is prosperous for you. Gotta get back to the tanning. Deer, Sheep, and Bison are everywhere! And this one guy covered me up with beaver! The work never ends......

George is right.

This response submitted by John W. on 12/29/05 at 12:30 PM. ( ) 66.249.34.218

I just had a hide I had to throw out because all the hair under the white patch was falling out in clumps.This hide had been in the pickle for three days-ph of 1.5,I pulled it out to shave and noticed it was smelling,than asI was almost done shaving on my machine I noticed hair all over the inside-tubeskinned.Horrified I looked in and a patch about 5inchs by 8inchs had slipped.It really didn't surprise me that this had happened-the customer had informed me he washed the hide down good before bringing it to me-it just aggrevated me because I was almost done shaving it when this happened,but the damage had already been done before I got the hide.The customer was so surprised when I informed him never wash that hide before taking it to the taxidermist,luckily for him I just happened to have a hide already tanned and in the freezer just the size of his hide.

Return to Tanning Category Menu