miniflesher

Submitted by Grandma Nancy on 1/11/06 at 9:28 AM. ( ) 142.154.165.11

Okay guys, I need your help again, I did check out the search button but am still needing help. Thinking about investing in a miniflesher, good investment? Would also like to know which would be the best, an "air" one or an electric one? Also if I chose the one that needs an air compressor, what size compressor would I need? I like to help my son at the shop but the wire wheel and the fleshing machine scares the hell out of me! Thanks in advance for your input. Have a great day.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Nancy, get over it

This response submitted by George on 1/11/06 at 11:02 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.132

And that's NOT being smart to you, but the minifleshers are major crap. They are usually the first step in investing in a large machine. You need a large tanked compressor in order to use one and the compressor will still be working the entire time. The guards are a joke as they sling crud all over and I'd hope you have a face shield if you don't think the taste of raw flesh is very appealing. I bought one early on because "I couldn't afford a big unit". Within a month I figured I couldn't afford the mess that thing produced as well as the incessant compressor running. My miniflesher stayed in a cabinet for 15 years I guess before I sold it, an extra housing and an extra blade for $60 and I paid the shipping. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

If the big machine scares you, invest in a pair of Kevlar gloves that McKenzie sells and start out with a few test hides off deer and large game. Once you get the knack of it, the fear will vanish and you'll think how silly it was to avoid it to begin with.

Mini Flesher

This response submitted by Bwana on 1/11/06 at 11:36 AM. ( ) 67.2.245.103

I use a mini flesher and think it is great. I can completely flesh a deer except the muzzel and nostrils in an hour. I think if you are doing less than 50 deer head a year it is a great alternative to the big fleshers.

Bwana

This response submitted by steved on 1/11/06 at 3:15 PM. ( aaa_taxidermy@yahoo.com ) 68.169.25.254

Do you own or have you ever used a full sized flesher, IMHO if you had i think you would probally call that little thing a waste of time and sell it off, maybe not, but a full sized one the only way to go even at 50 or less a year.

Stay away

This response submitted by CPattee on 1/11/06 at 3:31 PM. ( ) 66.202.118.26

Just bought one, and have used it on a few hides, wow, it takes some getting used to. I'm sure if you work with it awhile you can do well, but you will get good at stitching first, trust me on that. Try everything at least once as George puts so well. I'm getting a table knife now!

mntr

This response submitted by rward on 1/21/06 at 11:44 PM. ( ) 4.252.128.55

i agree with george i just bought a miniflesher the compresser runs so much i think i will be deaf soon and the mess it makes is terrible if only i would have known ahead of time o well live and learn ps watch for a cheap mini flesher for sale soon

Return to Tanning Category Menu