(DEER) OUTER SKIN

Submitted by Lisa on 1/11/06 at 6:11 PM. ( mobleysridgetop@yahoo.com ) 69.72.66.109

1-11-06
I tanned some deer capes did everything right.I seen that the hair was falling out then just a little. I put the Mckinzie tanning on the capes and did how it said. I seen that the hair was still falling out not like slipping, it was right on the hair ends the outter skin. Was this caused by my tanning or what? When i took it out of the freezer there was a water in the bag would that make the hair fall out more? What should i do is the cape no good?

Thank U
Lisa

Return to Tanning Category Menu

hair falling out

This response submitted by Justin on 1/12/06 at 2:49 AM. ( jda24d@rucshmore.om ) 209.159.195.62

I am by no means an expert, but I think your best bet would be to mount it as soon as you possibly can. As long as there is no bare apots you will be OK. Once the cape dries most genrally the hair will set. As far as the problem its anybodies guess. It the problem keeps happening then start trying to pinpiont what is causing it.

Given the info you have posted...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 1/12/06 at 5:58 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

I would guess this is chemical slipage!
The fact that there is no major slip spots is one clue. Water in the bag is another clue. I think it could be caustics in the skin before tanning. Was there a lot of hair floating in the pickle? Did the hair look like it was burned at the skin end? Some can be saved. Try to mount. If it is chemical slippage, The hair will still fall out after it dries. Maybe glen can shed some light on the topic.

Return to Tanning Category Menu