Stop Rot Question

Submitted by Jamie Rice on 1/13/06 at 8:01 PM. ( rice194@yahoo.com ) 65.146.52.134

A question for Glenn Conley.When I recieve a deer head,I skin head out turn ears and remove large chunks of meat and freeze, then thaw and turn eyes lips and nose. After that I put cape in krowtann. When would be the best time to use stop rot, after I skin the head out before I put in the freezer or after the cape has thawed out before I put in krowtann?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Jamie,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 1/13/06 at 11:13 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.105.123.8

put the STOP-ROT on as soon as you can after skinning.

Definitely before freezing, for more than one reason. It will help prevent freezer burn BIG TIME, especially if you apply to the hair side of the ears also. Same goes for the lips, eye epidermis and nose pad. You aren't going to be believing what you will be pulling out of the freezer at a later date.

Another big reason. If no one is there to hear a freezer alarm, does that mean the freezer is still working? (Take that you people that think trees that fall in the forest don't make sounds)

I had a wee bit of a freezer run-in this last summer, kind of stuff that only happens when you are gone. STOP-ROT treated stuff was fine and dandy, some of the other stuff got buried at the landfill.

Paul e gave an account here recently of the two STOP-ROT treated capes that he had in his freezer being salvaged. Paul had evacuated because of hurricane Katrina, and figured he was without power for at least ten days. The rest of the stuff in the freezer was what you would expect.

Another thing you might want to do. Before you neutralize, put a little on the hair side and flesh side of the eye, including the lacrimal. Everyone (including myself)has been claiming less epidermal sloughing by so doing.

Glen, Ya mind if I but in?

This response submitted by jrosbor on 1/14/06 at 7:03 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Good!
I like to apply the STOP-ROT before the animal is even skinned. I usaly get deer with the heads and part of the neck still in and often frozen. I apply STOP-ROT to the ears, eyes, nose and lips before I even start to cape the head out. Then skin as it thaws. Apply STOP-ROT to the flesh side and freeze.
I should also note, I have not seen any (not less) epidermal sloughing around the eyes since I started using STOP-ROT! Later, Joe

how much?

This response submitted by Brokentine on 1/14/06 at 10:32 PM. ( ) 70.58.141.119

How much Stop-rot should be applied. Just a thin layer, or maybe just a little thicker? Do I wash the stop-rot out before putting in krowtann? Whould'nt this change the ph levels of the tanning process if left in the cape? just asking love to hear the answers Glenn. Fairly new and you sound like a pro...

Thanks Brokentine

Return to Tanning Category Menu