Deer in pickle

Submitted by LCSO506 on 1/14/06 at 8:29 AM. ( LCSO506@yahoo ) 12.167.90.98

I went to nutralize a deer cape today and noticed that the bottom lip of the cape was still redish color and had a blood odor. I have never had this happen and can not really understand how the rest of the cape could pickle and the bottem jaw not . Pickle time was 72 hrs. I did not know what to do so I placed the hide back in the pickle added a gallon of fresh pickle solutution and hoped for the best in 24hrs. I was wondering if anyone had had this problem and if so what could have caused this. The only thing I can think of was that the board I use to weight the hide down somehow blocked the pickle from this area

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Could have been..

This response submitted by cyclone on 1/14/06 at 1:38 PM. ( ) 129.43.43.200

in an air pocket. Best to stir them often. I like to dunk them quite a bit when they first go in. Get all of the air out of the ears and face area. I find that the weight is not really necessary, I let mine float flesh side down.

Got to check that pH also.

Get rid of the board!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 1/14/06 at 3:36 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.23

If you turn them over twice a day (when you come in and when you leave) there's no need to weigh them down! In fact, I've heard of everything from Bricks, Rocks, 1/2 filled 5 gl. pails, and other gimmicks - but the truth is, the pickle will penetrate with or without these conraptions! For one thing, its a pain having to remove the weight everytime you want to stir the skins. And most importantly, like in the case of using a brick - the acid will leach out the alkaline in it and cause big time PH flucuations!

I cant guess what caused the lip area to remain discolored - but the board definitely should be removed.

Bruce has a good point!

This response submitted by jrosbor on 1/14/06 at 6:55 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

My first atempt with krowtann was a loss because of a brick! skins pickle just fine with out the weight. Just make sure they are good and relaxed before you pickle. Joe

Return to Tanning Category Menu