Where do we start with our deer skin

Submitted by Lori Williams on 1/15/06 at 8:47 AM. ( lwilliams1@cableone.net ) 207.200.116.66

My 12 year old son killed his first deer and we froze the skin for tanning later. Well, according to him its now "later" and I have no clue as to how to start the process of tanning this hyde. I know you use salt (I don't even know if we use regular table salt or another type) and thats about all I know. This is very important to my son and I want to get the correct information so we do it right. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and God bless,
Lori

Return to Tanning Category Menu

READ THE ARCHIVES ( ORANGE BUTTON )

This response submitted by Laurier on 1/15/06 at 8:55 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.209.7

send it to a taxidermist or tannery

well Lori

This response submitted by Evelyn on 1/15/06 at 9:40 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.73

that's why there are poeple called Taxidermists that make a living of this type of work. If that hide is important to your son, bring it to a qualified taxidermist who know how to properly take care of it.

Would you try to fix your own brakes on your car or your television, if you'd have no idea on how to do it?

Lori

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 1/15/06 at 9:50 AM. ( forrestzoo@earthlink.net ) 66.207.230.161

It may be a good idea to have a taxidermist tan your sons FIRST hide and maybe have him mount the antlers. Then he has a quality skin that will last a lifetime and one he can compare his NEXT one to that he has had time to learn how to do. Your first deer isn't something you want to practice on. There are tanning kits you can order from most suppliers, but if its something this important take it to a tanner/taxidermist and have him talk to someone else that hunts and get the rest of the skin from another deer. There is always plenty of skin left over if someone is wanting to get a shoulder mounted deer. Trust me I have thrown away lots of "the rest of the deer", much to my dismay. I send mine out & every now & then I will send the cut off piece from a first deer and give the remainder to the hunter/huntress to drape over a chair or table.

Return to Tanning Category Menu