Keeping fleshing machine blades sharp

Submitted by JR on 1/17/06 at 11:19 AM. ( ) 165.234.189.96

I have the Dakota Pro fleshing machine. I love the machine. It works fantastic when the blade is sharp. I do both the raw fleshing and the shaving of my capes. How can I keep my blades sharp?

I'm using Van Dyke's Soft Steel Blades. They offer a Hard Steel Blade also. Would that be a better choice?

Thanks!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

tungsten 2 per.thoriated x 7inchx 3/32 or 1/16

This response submitted by paul e on 1/17/06 at 1:26 PM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 68.222.51.138

the little tools they sent with it are a little harder to use
get a tungsten from a welding supply house
i found it a little easier to use
oh
grind down to a point on one side to use when lifting up the lip
apply a little pressure lifting up
then i always touch it a little bit on top again
now i always use a little oil before i start
and if your sparking your hitting it to hard and or to long
hey JR WHAT A GREAT MACHINE THOUGH i love mine
i have one adjustment
the lower end for the face of deer and small stuff
and a little more bite for the thicker stuff

Don't hold the steel on the blade for more than a second.

This response submitted by Steve on 1/17/06 at 4:51 PM. ( ) 216.146.103.118

I'm no expert, but most people don't realize that it only takes a second of holding the tuning steel on the blade. You don't have to hold it their any longer. Be careful not to turn the edge too far one way or the other. Just touch it up and it should cut fine. If it doesn't your edge is probably turned down too far. If you are consistently cutting holes it may be turned too far up. I'm still learning myself, but this is about all I know...

Good Paul

This response submitted by David Patton on 1/17/06 at 9:07 PM. ( ) 12.76.209.100

The tungsten is an excellent choice for shaving mechnics. I would add though that since thoriated steel is radioactive, welding supplies may not carry the 2% anymore. Regular tungsten will work just as well.

Return to Tanning Category Menu