ez 100 long term storage: when to OIL?

Submitted by rlw on 1/20/06 at 11:34 AM. ( wolferk@bresnan.net ) 69.144.30.75

Having saftee acid and ez 100 a bunch of coyote pelts,
I am aking, for longer term storage ,

( not time to soften right now: any ideas)

SHOULD OINING be done now....or
oling after rehydrating in the future?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Searched: when to oil

This response submitted by rlw on 1/20/06 at 11:54 AM. ( wolferk@bresnan.net ) 69.144.30.75

This answer was for an immediate deer mount but may say the facts about ......
ALL skins need OIL to prevent """ go ahead and read""""

EVERY tanned skin should be oiled. Simply because it maintains "Size" to the skin and doesnt allow it to shrivel as it dries. Without Oil in the skin you can expect hellacious shrinkage! The Oil binds to the fibers, binds water in the skin and keeps the fibers from collapsing. You need this combination of oil and water to maintain the size of the skin, as well as to provide lubrication to it. Without oil, the fibers collapse and slowly, by shrinkage, expel all the water from the fibers until the skin becomes hard, brittle and will crack! Oiling is absolutely necessary! What you are confusing is the amount of "surface oil" left present, that naturally interferes with skin pastes and glues. Fortunately, there are some oils that penetrate deeply but leave little surface residue. Our Lite-Oil (LO-306) is one of them. It leaves a dry feel to the leather. There are others I'm sure, but this is the one I'm most familiar with, and why we recommend it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu