Dakota V

Submitted by Kristi on 1/20/06 at 5:29 PM. ( ) 144.9.8.21

I just received my Dakota V and am trying to adjust it. I'm not thrilled with the video that came with it. The sound quality and the visual lighting and camera angles don't help. Sorry.

Anyway, can anyone offer any suggestions on setting the guards?

Also, Is it much much easier to use on a pickled cape vs. a raw one? I tried it out on a raw one and it seemed to grab at the tissue and jerk the hide towards the blade. Do you guys prefer to flesh raw capes by hand?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

fleshing

This response submitted by terrryr on 1/20/06 at 7:02 PM. ( homsolut@hotmail.com ) 12.207.33.102

tape that comes with it sucks - i flesh tanned capes mostly but can do raw (grudgingly) - start by setting the guards very thin and gradually open them up - it is grabbing because you have too much blade open - it takes a LONG time to learn without someone showing you - any ?'s email me direct - i have a dakota V

info

This response submitted by Mr.T on 1/20/06 at 7:05 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.152

The video was made for blind people to listen to. It is the first video production of the proto type machine, copied thousands of times over. On the backside of the blade, that guard should be even with the outside lip of the blade, as close to it as possible. The knife-edge guard should be slightly back from the outside edge. Maybe 1/8" at the most. You will have to get used to playing with it as you learn the eye to hand dexterity. If the blade is grabbing, you have the lip turned out too much. Touch the top of the blade with the tuning steel, until you get the cutting angle you want. Once you have the guards set, you can leave them there, and just adjust the blade lip angle when doing raw or pickled hides. Pickled is easer to do than raw. The more you do, the faster you will get, so don't give up to early.

Thanks!

This response submitted by Kristi on 1/23/06 at 6:10 PM. ( ) 144.9.8.21

Thanks so much, I'll go try it!

Return to Tanning Category Menu