Brian, whats that last ingredient in Krowtan?

Submitted by oldshaver on 1/20/06 at 8:16 PM. ( ) 68.221.1.79

Is it an aldehyde, masking agent or what. Could anyone scan a lable for me, and paste it here? I got nothing against the product. I just stated that IF "IF" it was combining an acid and alum, at the same time, the alum wouldnt fix. George, I noticed, Rick Carter by-passed your slamming of the product, and went straight to my comment. What happened there? I guess Rick had a lack of huevos, when it came to talking junk to George. I havent heard of any instances, where a well known figure, endorcing a product, in public, didnt get paid for it, or get compensated in some way.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Endorcing products.

This response submitted by Paul on 1/20/06 at 8:59 PM. ( ) 68.39.44.95

Its funny how some big time names endorce products then when you talk to others in person they say I wouldn,t use it on my deer.

its also funny...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/20/06 at 10:59 PM. ( ) 67.138.8.197

Anyone that knows me knows I, while not BIG, endorse lots of stuff in this industry, and I always am up front and say I do so because I like the product, not because it was made worth it to me to. Hell, you arent getting rich on endorsements in taxidermy, trust me. Yes, guys have been generous in the past BECAUSE we endorse, but they dont offer stuff in return for a good word. At least not with me. Just thought Id clear that up. I dont care to foolishly get sucked into this tan debate. Honestly, Im surprised YOU guys are either. I respect you guys as knowing enough about tanning already!

Endorsements.........

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 1/20/06 at 11:48 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.105.114.186

I just posted this link in another thread. My judgement tells me to do so again for educational purposes. A specific tannery was named in this article, the word "tannery" alone would actually have been sufficient for all intents and purposes in the article.

You're welcome.

http://www.hidetanning.net/FreezerBurnedCape.html

Glad to see my train of though on one thing

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 1/21/06 at 3:39 AM. ( J32a@aol.com ) 205.188.117.70

Is right. I didn't think they would make you rich and so I put that in the other thread about this.

Glen, are you saying photo's tell the story? Or should I go back and see what I missed in that article. Not sure I understand what you are saying. Edu. me. thanks Joey

old shaver

This response submitted by curious tanner on 1/21/06 at 10:26 AM. ( ) 24.121.58.27

the last ingredient in krowtann on the lable I have is vinegar. there are 18 ingredients listed on the MSDS.

old shaver

This response submitted by curious tanner on 1/21/06 at 10:35 AM. ( ) 24.121.58.27

the last ingredient in krowtann on the lable I have is vinegar. there are 18 ingredients listed on the MSDS. Also how can the listed PH of 8.3 be possible with all that alum and three different acids. At 8.3 the alum is gone.

oldshaver-I messed up-next to last ingredient

This response submitted by Brian Harness on 1/21/06 at 11:08 AM. ( ) 162.40.174.111

Oldshaver-Sorry to lead you astray. It was way past my bedtime when I was responding to the post. It should have been the next to last ingredient.

I didn`t get payed

This response submitted by Ken Walker on 1/21/06 at 12:28 PM. ( () ) 161.184.182.203

For indorsing liqua tan.I simply use it on medium or small mammals.But I always pickle and neutralize first.I like syn-tans because they can handle a proper wash afterwards.

Dear Curious tanner

This response submitted by PA on 1/21/06 at 2:40 PM. ( ) 24.3.179.164

What exactly are the 18 ingredients for those of us who are too cheap to order some (I do more birds than anything and always send out my large mammals for proper tanning)

PA

This response submitted by curious tanner on 1/21/06 at 5:28 PM. ( ) 24.121.58.27

Here are the ingredients per the MSDS sheet I have. acetic acid,acid bate, alum, aluminum chloride, aluminum sulphate, ammonium alum, bactericide, citric acid, denatured alcohol, formic acid, gelon, krow-oil, pickle oil, pre-tan 110, sodium chloride, sodium sulfate, tanning agents, vinegar. 18 ingredients and PH of 8.3

What a conglomeration of chemicals!

This response submitted by PA on 1/22/06 at 10:33 AM. ( ) 24.3.179.164

It may work because of any of at least four types of tanning agents in it, but I would think from a personal standpoint many of the chemicals off-set each other. For example, I regularly use a dehydrated product of a mixture of Hydrochloric acid and Drano to place on my meat when I eat it - that would be salt for those who don't realize how chemicals interact. There has got to be so many interactions in the mixture that only a small number would be actually involved in the final "tanning". I also can't see how the pH can work out to 8.3. If the pH is 8.3, why would someone add acid bate to the mix - see definition at : http://www.textanchem.com/chemicals/leather_chemicals/leather_enzymes.htm

Thanks for the info!

Return to Tanning Category Menu