Tanning of Deer Heads for mounting

Submitted by Phil on 1/22/06 at 12:12 AM. ( ogdenp@sbcglobal.net ) 67.66.226.80

What is the best method for pickle and tanning deer heads for mounting.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

There is none

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 1/22/06 at 6:42 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 71.161.249.96

What works for one may not work for another. I know what I like to use and I'll tell you what I do but it's my method that has works for thousands of capes and hides.
After fleshing I salt for 24 hrs, shake off and resalt. Let it dry hard.
Rehydrate in Rittel's ultra-soft, rinse welland then place it in a pickle.
The Pickle contains saftee-acid and salt. Salt content is reading 42-44 on a salimeter and a reading of 1.5-1 on the Ph scale.
I'll pickle them for three days, drian them and then shave them, If any hides needs to be degreased this is when you do it. Use a good drgreaser like Epo-Grips or Knobloch's and Rittel's degreasers. There are others others out there that also work. Just follow the directions.
I'll degrease for about 20 minutes and rinse well. Place it back into the pickle for another 24 hrs.
From there you need to neturlize the hide. I use one tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate to a gallon of water. Soak the hide in this for 15 to 20 minutes. No more than that. Rinse well and then drain.
Now as for tanning I use two methods that I end up with great results.
One is I like to use Rittel's EZ-100. It'a garment tan and it does make a good seeling point to clients when they aren't sure about you doing in house tanning. I sit them down and I educate them about tanning and what a tannery does.
My other favorite is Liqua-tan. Very easy to use and produces a great tan.
Both of these tans won't wash out unless you use boiling hot water.
Now are these the only ones out there and have I tried others? Yes. I have used others, like Para-tan, lutan-f, Krowtan, other rub ons etc. They all work but as for some qualities I may not like or dislike. So I go back to what I feel I get the most out of a tan and it's these two I feel works for me. Like I say what works for me!
You will others talk about their method and their also right. You need for yourself to hit the oragnge button on the left and type in different tans, tanning methods and read from there.
In the end you may be more confused with tanning then from where you came on here for all the different methods used in this industry.
One other great way of reading about other tans is going to Knobloch's web site or Rittel's site. They have a lot of info also that may help you out even more.
In the end it's still your choice and what ever you choose to use follow the directions to the T and all should work out fine. Good luck.

Dang Frank

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 1/22/06 at 7:11 AM. ( J32a@aol.com ) 205.188.116.5

Now that is answering a question.

BTW, I saw a post either in the archives or just asked about bobcats or something that made you explain what you do with them. I can't remember. You said, you cut the face off and rebuild it. Well when I got my bobcat form in the other day the first thing I noticed was the face was all off. The lip line was even off from side to side. Anyhow, I decided to cut that sucker up and man it sure made things line up better. Now I haven't done a bobcat before, but I have done a few foxes and from now on I think I am going to do the same for them. Those wiskers and that nose sure was easier to get right or at least I guess they are right. Thanks a lot

Thanks Frank!

This response submitted by PA on 1/22/06 at 10:42 AM. ( ) 24.3.179.164

Good post, and to the point, which outlines what you do. We need about a dozen succinct answers like this. They probably do already exist in the archives, but it doesn't hurt to add another one.

Don't thank me

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 1/23/06 at 6:19 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 71.161.254.61

Thank WASCO for having this site. With out it there would still be and there are floks doing what has been done in the past that is so wrong to do today. The whole idea is education and never stop learning.
Hey PA you going to the state show this year and if so make sure we get to see each other there. I'll be moslty in the compitition room this year.

Return to Tanning Category Menu