Slimy Capes....

Submitted by Kirby on 1/22/06 at 1:59 PM. ( ) 216.166.168.55

Hey all you pros! OK, pickling turns out nice and firm shaves good then back in overnight, neutralize, then into Lutan F overnight, pull out drip dry a while then oil, roll up overnight. I am not tumbling just freezing or mounting right away and these capes feel "slimy"! The firmness is gone! Very stretchy which i like but just wondering if this is a problem, they almost feel as though they are still green. One other thing I have noticed since getting back into tanning is the salt residue clinging to the hair after mounting. I dont seem to get this from commercial tans. Should I be tumbling? Any comments welcomed.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

2 Things I'd change!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 1/22/06 at 4:26 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.23

First - when you pull them out of the tan - always rinse them with plain water. No soaps. This will reduce the salt carry-over.

Secondly - After oiling - never "roll up" your capes! Rolling traps the moisture that will be displaced by the oil as it penetrates the fibers. You want the mositure to drain away. It may be a good reason your capes feel "slimy"!

And as an add - after oiling, fold your capes, set them aside, preferably in a warm area for 3-4 hours or overnight - and then freeze them or mount. Actually I prefer to give them a tumble in Mineral Spirits and sawdust before freezing - or mounting. It removes a lot of excess moisture and the capes dry more evenly.

thanks...

This response submitted by KK on 1/23/06 at 11:28 AM. ( ) 216.166.168.55

Thanks Bruce, great tips. How long, and... do you dip the capes in Mineral Spirits? I have noticed that solvent smell from commercial tans before. Wondered what it was.

Thanks

Sawdust & Mineral Spirits!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 1/23/06 at 4:56 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.36

If you dont have a tumbling drum - try this method. In a Pail mix some clean sawdust and Odorless Mineral Spirits together. Only make the sawdust damp - not soggy. Then put this in a black plastic garbage bag. Put the cape in with it - then tie it off and bounce it around using your hand for about 5-10 minutes. Then remove the cape and blow it off with an airhose or shake it out. The sawdust removes the moisture and the OMS removes any oil splash and natural oils in the hair. But it leaves the oil you apllied in the skin.

No dipping - it may remove some of the tanning oil you applied.

Thanks again

This response submitted by KK on 1/24/06 at 12:15 AM. ( ) 216.166.168.55

Cant wait to try these new ideas. Thanks I knew i would get good resoponse but glad it was from someone as knowledgable as you.

Kirby

Return to Tanning Category Menu