Bear care

Submitted by TJAY on 1/22/06 at 7:53 PM. ( ) 142.165.28.123

I am planning on a bear hunt this year. Where I hunt there is no freezer or cooler. It is along a lake so could I store the hide in the water and it would keep for 3 days till the plane picks us up?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

NO!

This response submitted by George on 1/22/06 at 8:15 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.203

Not if you want to do anything with it later. It's either frozen or its fleshed and salted, your choice. No alternatives allowed. Carry the extra 10 pounds of salt.

do this

This response submitted by huntr on 1/22/06 at 9:13 PM. ( ) 69.14.225.122

heres what we used to do and we never had any problems with the hides! after you shoot the bear field dress and take care to keep dry then hang let cool we then took bags of ice and put them in the chest cavity wrapped the bear in heavy plastic and then for the fun part dig a hole in the ground and bairy it! no kidden worked for us for years and never lost a hide!

Salt

This response submitted by Brian on 1/23/06 at 7:54 AM. ( ) 66.82.9.64

I've taken several bears on remote trips and salt is your answer. Remove the hide, turn the ears, nose and lips (and eyes if you can). Remove all the big hunks of flesh. Salt it very heavily, especially around the edges, people tend to miss those spots. Fold it up skin to skin and set it in the shade where it can drain. If you're going to be there a few more days, knock the old salt off and re-salt it. Don't store it in a plastic garbage bag except to keep it out of the rain. Use one of the canvas type bags while you're traveling so the hide can breath.

Return to Tanning Category Menu